New November 2.2 font update

Just tried it…

Exporting to PDF, then printing the PDF prints correctly.

Robby

So at least we have a workaround, and it is not too tedious! :wink:

I will try tomorrow with 10.14.2 on another machine, and who knows, maybe this is a factor.
I’d be very interested to know if you are the only one experiencing this.

Robert

I appreciate it Robert. Thanks for all the help!

Robby

I’m stating the obvious, but it appears there’s something about the paths in November that your printer driver really doesn’t like, Robby. I wonder whether you have the option of trying another driver? E.g. if you’re using driver software provided by HP, try using the macOS default drivers instead.

Robert, you might try making sure that all of the paths in the font have the appropriate winding direction set for the OpenType PS format.

I think it’d be interesting to try another driver, yes.
There could be a correlation with Mojave, too. I will try different setups later today.\

Daniel, you are talking about the vectorial path direction for each glyph, correct?
I have a sophisticated script that alerts me upon compilation in case of glyph errors, and according to this script, there is no wrong path direction in November2.
And if we take the standard black notehead (noteheadBlack U+E0A4) that looks as if it has been eaten by some rodent on Rooby’s printed pages, this is a super simple and regular glyph, made just of a few curve points.
There might something else to explain this mystery, “as big as a house” (as we say in French!)

Robert

Hi again Robby and Daniel,

So here is the result of my printing campaign.

I tried the following combinations:

• macOS 10.12.6, macOS 10.14.1 (which I later updated to macOS 10.14.3)
  • HP Laserjet 9040, HP Laserjet P3005, HP Color Laserjet M552
  • official HP drivers (“PostScript drivers 19.13”), or generic PostScript drivers (Apple, I imagine?)

I printed from within Finale 26 (not from PDF!), and was never able to reproduce the scrambled glyphs.
Not sure what I should do next on my side to help.

Robert

I don’t think the problem lies within Dorico itself, but rather with the printer driver, so I guess that has to be the next plan of attack, Robby: you need to see whether or not any alternative drivers are available for your printer.

I will look for additional drivers today.

Thanks guys!

Robby

First off, many thanks to Robert P for his efforts in helping me. As well as Daniel.

The problem is now fixed. And I figured I would post it here in case anyone else runs into this issue.

I updated to 10.14.3 (I was on 10.14.2, and thought I had installed the newest update, but apparently did not). After recognizing the discrepancy from Robert’s post above.

As suggested, I searched for a new driver from the HP website. Turns out one was available back in Sep 2018.

Before installing the new driver, Mac OS System Preferences under printers and scanners showed that driver version 2.0 was installed. The HP website showed 2.9.XX.XX (2.9.something) as the newest available one.

I downloaded the driver updater, and followed the steps. Nearing the end, the updater said that I had the AirPrint driver installed, and that it was recommended by HP to use the HP driver. I switched to the HP driver, and completed the process (2 more steps of verifying a page printed, etc.).

Once complete, I opened Dorico and my Font test file, and it worked.

The AirPrint driver I am not 100% sure how I got that on there (maybe trying to print from my iPhone years ago?). However, this problem is now solved provided I am using the HP Driver.

Robby

Fantastic. All’s well that ends well.

Great!!
I hope you’ll fully enjoy November2 now :slight_smile:

Robert

Hi, Robert!

I’m having an issue with November 2.2 in Dorico when it comes to applying square brackets to accidentals. I get the attached result. Other users told me it was something you’d have to address, but writing to Klemm they told me there are no plans to update November. I saw this topic and thought I’d ask you about it directly, if you don’t mind.

Screenshot 2020-04-05 at 12.37.09|454x500

Yes, November lacks the symbols for square brackets on accidentals. Unfortunately, this is very difficult to remedy, because the accidental brackets aren’t included in the Music Symbols Editor. (Accidentals are edited in the Tonality System editor, but brackets are excluded there.)

So, the only real way to fix this is to modify the font itself. You can use the free font editor FontForge to add brackets to the font (U+E26C and U+E26D), and then Generate an OTF font.

November lacks a few other ‘obvious’ glyphs, like the Longa notehead. I’d suggest that a v2.3 is definitely in order, @Robert_P

2 Likes

Thank you so much for this! I’m doing an Urtext and square brackets are such a huge part of it. I’ll look into this.

Hi MusicalGriff!
Thank you for your message and interest in my font.
Klemm team is slightly incorrect: there are always plans for update whenever there are issues!
So stay tuned, and I will address the problem in the coming couple weeks (it’ll be a free update, needless to say).
PS: it will also the other issues that have somehow piled up over the past months :blush:
Best,
Robert

3 Likes

Thanks Robert, I’d be so grateful. It’s the same issue with hairpin brackets too.

Bravo Robert c’est fantastique ce que vous faites
Mille Mercis