New PC Build, CPU BIOS configuration

Hello everyone,
I have a new PC after 10 years. I’ve read all the articles about the proper hardware configuration (CPU etc.) but still there are some options in BIOS that I don’t know.
I mention all the options (although some are known to me)
Could someone please give some piece of advise?

1. Hardware Prefetcher enable/disable
    2.Adjacent Cache Line Prefetch enable/disable
    3.Intel (VMX) Virtualization Technology enable/disable
    4.Hyper-Threading enable/disable
    5.Intel Speed Step enable/disable
    6.Intel Speed Shift Technology enable/disable
    7.Intel Turbo Boost Max Technology 3.0 enable/disable
    8.Turbo Mode enable/disable
    9.CPU C-States enable/disable

Thank you all very much.

You’re going to get varying responses depending on individual experience.
You haven’t said anything about your new rig… here we have Cubase Pro 13 and Nuendo 13 running on Intel i9 12900K and i9 13900K machines respectively.
While we used to turn a lot of the Speed Step and C -states stuff off, we no longer bother with that on our latest machines, so everything on your list we leave to default.
The only BIOS settings we change now are enabling XMP, disabling any device not required (e.g. serial port, internal sound card, etc.) and disabling fast boot (we’ve noticed that sometimes USB connected devices are not identified at startup when fast boot is on).
That’s it! Both our machines run well and deliver excellent performance.
But, as I said, different people will tell you different things and YMMV depending on your specific hardware.

Thank you for the response.
I have everything (PC Configuration) in my description , I thought they were visible…

Windows 10 Pro
Cubase 12 Pro
RME Fireface UFX
Asus PRIME Z790-A WIFI ATX LGA1700 Motherboard
Intel Core i7-12700K 3.6 GHz 12-Core Processor
Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 64 GB (2 x 32 GB) DDR5-5600 CL40 Memory
Samsung 990 Pro 1 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive

Is it better after 8 ouer of hard work?

I don’t have all options on my older system, but I’ll give you some hints:

1. Intel VMX, I believe, is something to do with running Virtual Machines. Unless you’re making Virtual Machines, I’d disable it.
  2. Hyper-threading you can either enable or disable. Your choice. See which works better. Run a project as a stress test. I have mine Enabled.
  3. Intel SpeedStep can be disabled. Disabling it will prevent the CPU from changing core frequencies up and down. With it enabled, it can cause some projects to glitch occasionally when it ‘speed steps’. Of course, thermal safety measures aren’t disabled, so it may still step down in frequency if it overheats. You’ll likely notice your CPU running hotter as a result of disabling SpeedStep.
  4. SpeedShift - Disable as with SpeedStep. Similar thing, I believe.
  5. Turbo Mode - Leave enabled. This allows your cores to run at their max speed. Disabling would default the CPU to only run at its base clock frequency (so far as I remember).
  6. CPU C-States. Disable these if you don’t want any energy saving nonsense getting in the way of performance.

I’ve probably got some minor details wrong here and there. Someone may be able to fill in gaps with other things (Hardware Prefetcher, Adjacent Cache Line Prefetch).

Apologies, it’s not immediately visible on an iPad…

Just one point, and it’s not BIOS related, the i7 12700K has hybrid core architecture. Windows 10 does not have the thread director capabilities to take full advantage of this platform whereas Windows 11 does (or at least does it better).
On Windows 10 you run an increased risk of dispatching critical threads on efficiency cores, which is not optimal.

I don’t understand what you mean.

Thanks, I wasn’t aware of that.

Thank you.

1 Like