New pc build. High cpu usage in cubase

Just built i7-8700k, 32GB ram, 2TB m.2 + 4TB ssd sata, gigabyte z390, PC.
Cubase 10, windows 10, steinberg ur22mkii.
After about a week after installing all plugins and presets etc,
Tried testing it out, loaded few omnisphere multis, buffer around 128,
and cpu meter in cubase is around 40% load,
When put buffer at 32 cpu meter went to red…
That’s pretty much how my old pc (i7-920, 24GB ram) was, if not worse.
This can’t be normal right ?
Perhaps settings for cpu in bios aren’t correct or something?

1 Like

why was this moved to computer hardware forum ? when this is cubase specific issue! please moved this to cubase 10 forum!

I just installed demo of reaper and have same exact omnisphere multi playing in reaper and CPU usage is 2.8%, but in cubase its over 40%!!

8 instances of omnisphere in cubase just overloads the asio performance

It was moved because it has nothing to do with Cubase 10 itself? It’s probably an issue with your system running Cubase 10?

Comparing Cubase with Reaper is like comparing Photoshop with Paint.Net? While the comparison stops there and they are both capable DAW’s the difference is obvious? The installation of Reaper takes about 70 Mb. Cubase takes up more than 700 Mb? Cubase has a lot more baggage and is more difficult to please. It usually takes more effort to get it running efficiently than other DAW’s? If you still want Cubase you’ll probably have to de some work?

If you want some relevant feedback on the performance of your system you should at least share with us ‘what’ multi’s you’re running from Omnisphere and what your definition of ‘a few’ is? There’s a big difference between multi’s with 2 parts or 8 and also what parts are in it? Some are a brease, some can bring your system to it’s knees?

I’m still wondering how it can be that so many people in here are having perfomance issues. I run Cubase 10 on a Dell T3500 with 24 gigs of ram and a Xeon X5687 processor. I have unparked all the cores and hyperthreading is on. Primary disk is a Samsung EVO 870 an a SATA III pcie card and secondary a Samsung EVO 970 on a PCIE card. I have disabled all other SATA ports in the bios. My soundcard is a Prism Titan. The graphics card is a Nvidia Quadro 4000.

So far, I have never been able to create any kind of spikes, cracks, rattling noise, no maxed out CPU or VST meter. And that is with loads of Softube and Waves effects on all channels, numerous instants of Kontakt and other stuff from complete. On top of that, I run several other VST synths. When I’m runnning about 30 instrument tracks and 10 audioracks, I’m hitting a max of 31% on the CPU and 40% on the VST meter.
The buffer is set to 256 samples and I have direct monitoring enabled.

Everything is running on a windows 7 machine without any kind of antivirus and it’s only used as DAW. I have tweaked windows to what is normally recomended on the different web sites.

“When put buffer at 32 cpu meter went to red…”

This is your issue. A newer and more powerful PC won’t do anything to improve your audio buffer response.

Your audio device, when set to 32ms instead of 128ms, will be interrupting your CPU over 400% more often. This adds a lot of extra load as it has to switch between other tasks more often. Having additional devices in your system (hard drives, USB devices, additional PCI-e cards) will add more interrupts on top of this.

Most systems cannot run projects with lots of plugins active with such a small audio buffer size, especially if you’re using a high sampling rate (say, 96kHz). Most studios will be running around 128ms minimum and even up to 1024ms if they are running huge production projects.

I personally use:

256ms with 44.1kHz/48kHz for most production projects
128ms or 256ms with 96kHz for singers (producing acapellas) with hardly any plugins active for low latency
512ms or 1024ms for large production projects where I need to keep on top of audio buffer underruns.

There’s no real need for 32ms as this is imperceptible. If your system can handle it that low, it wouldn’t be recommended to use any plugins, especially software instruments, as this will dramatically add to the ASIO load.