New PC Build, need to know if it´s OK

Hello!

Is these components OK for Cubase 8, Windows 8.1. I´m ecpecially concerned about the firewire card. Is it the right one for the components?

ASUS X99-A - Haswell-E
Intel Core i7 5930K - Haswell-E
Crucial 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 2133MHz CL15
ASUS GeForce GT 730
Sonnet Allegro FireWire 800 PCIe Card, 3xFirewire 9-pin (TI XIO2213-chip)

I don´t dear to click the “buy now” button until I have a confirmation from here. I´m using a Fireface 400.
Thank you in advance!
/Thomas

Hi… The only thing you may wish to consider is faster DDR4 RAM. Other than that it looks like a nice build.

Thank you for the answer!

What´s the benefit with faster RAM? Isn´t it just to be able to load a project faster? I will also buy 2x Samsung 500Gb SSD (and add more as my library grow). With SSD:s, RAM isn´t that important anymore, right?

I would appreciate if you could explain why I´m better off with 2666MHz DDR4 than with 2133MHz DDR4. It´s € 150 more with the 2666MHz modules. Why is it worth it? =)

Hi… Are you getting the Samsung 850 EVO? If so, good choice… Better than the 840 series.

RAM… Almost every operation requires a read or write to memory so RAM speed is crucial to overall system performance. The reason I suggest faster RAM is that I did some experimentation with RAM clocking in my x99 build and found that Cubase seemed to run a little better with the higher RAM clock speeds. It is hard to quantify (or maybe I should say I was not particularly motivated to document the results as I was just playing around). In any event, I found that OC’ing my RAM to its highest stable speed appeared to improve overall system performance.

Ok I see. Thanks for your input! Would you choose 2666 over 2133 for that particular reason? The overall performance was that much better?

No, I´m buying Samsung EVO 840, should I go with 850 instead? More stable? Better performance? (They have the exact same read/write speed)

Hi… I chose the 2666 so all I have to offer by way of comparison is running the 2666 at its stock speed vs overclocked speed. I found the performance difference to be noticeable (although I have nothing to prove it). I can say, in broad terms, that ASIO performance was better as was CPU utilization in terms of reduced CPU usage. I assume this is due to the CPU not waiting around for memory operations to complete but this is a guess. For me the additional cost was worth it although the delta between the 2133 and 2666 in Canada is much less than what you are dealing with in Euros. Finally, because I opted for the 5960 rather than the 5930 I was already acclimated to a big expense for the machine so I was prepared to go a little higher for RAM. I think either choice is a good one and the faster RAM, while nice to have, sill not make or break overall system experience. All I would say is that it is worth playing with all the OC parameters to squeeze every ounce of performance out of the platform.

Ah ok. Thank you. I´m moving from Mac Pro late 2010.

2,8GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon
24Gb 1066 DDR3 ECC memory

Do you think it is worth the upgrade with my new potential computer?

ASUS X99-A - Haswell-E
Intel Core i7 5930K - Haswell-E
Crucial 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 2133MHz CL15
ASUS GeForce GT 730

Moving from Logic Pro X to Cubase 8

Yes I do. A respectably overclocked 5930 will probably yield around 28Ghz of cpu power vs the 11.2Ghz you are getting now so you will boost performance considerably. I am sure you have read the threads about this additional CPU power not necessarily translating into ASIO gains on a one to one basis. This is true for me as well. I do find with ASIO guard that I have decreased ASIO load but I think a good deal of what happens with ASIO is a function of the ASIO driver and corresponding hardware rather than CPU. That all being said, I can run around 240 instances of plugins and instruments without killing ASIO @ 44.1. I think you will get similar results (the 5930 has six cores vs the 5960’s 8 cores but it can be clocked faster than the 5960 so they are closer in overall performance than might be expected).

Sounds very nice! My goal is to be able to do what this guy does in this youtube video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5cSTFxNQWkg&list=PLhvD55KIiGChXS0kcZFsgawY3D68B7rLf&index=18&spfreload=10

He´s able to have 300 instrument tracks on one computer (and the rest on his old PC using vienna ensemble pro) and yet his computer is built 2012 (according to Digital Audionetworx). I´m wondering though why you can´t have at least the same amount of instrument tracks as this guy, since you have a lot better and newer computer. This should be due to that his computer was built by “Audio PC” professionals? Digital Audionetworx built his computer and optimized it for him. I´m actually considering buying a computer from them instead. But I will have to pay about €600 more for it. (They say I can´t build and optimize a computer like that myself, because they don´t tell what components they use, except for the CPU (Intel Core i7 5930K). And they have 15 years experience on how to optimize and tweak BIOS and Windows to make it perfect for audio production). What do you think? Build myself or buy from them?

When I did my testing (relating to plugin count) I wanted a realistic assessment in terms of the kinds of plugins I tend to use. I ran 80 instances of Minimonsta because it is a resource hog and I use it quite a bit. Each instance of Minimonsta had a corresponding Lex Random Hall (a medium-sized resource consumer) and 80 instances of RND compression (a low-resource plugin). I was also running one instance of iZotope Ozone 5 on the stereo bus using the IIRC 3 setting (which is an enormous resource hog… Worst I have ever experienced but a great algorithm so its worth it). I think I could easily get 300 instances of Halion or Retrolog so the instrument track count is not at all unrealistic. As I mentioned, the sound card and its ASIO driver plays an extremely vital role in all this. The Lynx Aurora AES16e is not the lowest latency or most efficient solution out there. I believe people swear by the RME stuff at least in terms of the quality and efficiency of the ASIO layer.

That all being said, the best option is the one you feel most comfortable with.

Do you have to tweak your BIOS and Windows 8.1 settings to have Cubase 8 to work properly? Or is it just to install and go? If not, I would very much appreciate some tips on what to change in the BIOS (since we have the same motherboard, well I have X99-A, but don´t suppose there´s any difference other than a little less pci slots etc.). And how to setup Windows 8.1 and what to change in it, if it´s necessary.

I´m very much appreciating you answering so quickly, thanks!

Sure… All the tweaks are in BIOS:

1. Disable speed step
  2. Enable Turbo
  3. Set all PCIE busses to Gen 2 (Only use this if you use PCIE audio cards)
  4. Disable C-State
  5. Overclock the CPU - I use the BLCK + Ratio Tuning combination

I think that’s about it… I have fine-tuned my OC stuff so once yours is working/stable please let me know and I can give you a couple of specific values which work well for me.

Thank you very much. Yes I will let you know as soon as I have the cumputer installed and ready.

Happy new year!

Sounds great! Happy New Year to you too!