New PC Build

Think I am going for the new Asus Z590-P Motherboard. This is a little more expensive but allows a future upgrade to 11th gen CPU. Also this has an additional M.2 port which is PCIe 4 so allows me to fit the Samsung 980 Pro (7KMbs/5KMbs)units :slight_smile:
They are currently Pre-Order but I can wait.

Edit: Bugger, just noticed will also need 11th gen CPU. So back to original plan :frowning:

As we say in Germany: here is my mustard :wink:

Reading through the planned build it looks like a decent one, not even going into any Intel vs AMD discussions. Both have good things to offer for our needs. About mainboard strategy: I made a choice in the direction not to purchase the highest version of a board in means of addtional stuff like Wifi, 2nd NIC, etc. since Iā€™d anyway disable all what I donā€™t want and need from the BIOS :wink:
Not sure about PCIx4 support for storage but even with Gen2 x3 / Gen3 x3 is all works fast enough for large projects and samples. I am using EVO 970 Plus 500 GB in GEN3 x4 mode and it features 3,5GB r/w speed approx. and a really high IOPS. But I also use SATA6 SSDs and all works like a charm. With RAM speed I just go the default but highes speed, no OC experiments just for +1% of performance in a benchmark. Here goes stability over performance. I know with Intel and AMD you have a choice of chipsets, highend (the X ones), value for money (the B ones). I decied for a B chipset because the X version required a fan, these tiny high speed troublemakers. As I want a silent DAW I refused from +1 more Gen3 x4 M.2 which is fine for me (still have Gen3 x3 support in addtion to the Gen3 x4). I went to ASUS again after my ASRock let me down on another system (CAPS obviously weak not holding initial power, system requires 2x start to run). So a bit more quality in the mainboard is a good way to go, imho.
So, thatā€™s what I can share from my POV :slight_smile: Have a great time with your new machine! I am sure it will rock!

:+1:
Couldnā€™t agree more - I finally switched to RME about a year ago - and was sorry for not having done that sooner. Specifically Iā€™m using the Digiface USB, which is a pure Audio Interface. It allows me to keep my DA/AD conversion separately and use ADAT over TOSLink cables to hook up the analog :left_right_arrow: ADAT conversion units to the RME.

This approach allowed be to keep using my Steinberg MR816csx with its nice Yamaha pre-amps for analog :left_right_arrow: ADAT conversion (and I also have an old Presonus DigiMax FS box that gives me another 8 channels of analog :left_right_arrow: ADAT conversion).

In addition to impressively low latency, the RME ASIO driver on Windows is multi-client, i.e. it can be used by multiple pieces of software simultaneously. Steinberg themselves have never pulled that off (with the exception of a little unsupported experimental software some years ago).

1 Like

Curious - how do you find the latency across multiple ADATs? I keep looking at the digiface as itā€™s such an affordable way of getting on the RME wagon and offers an immense array of I/O.

Like you, i would use my current interface as a slave to it, plus an additional 8 pre ADAT. But i just canā€™t believe USB will deliver a performance close to my current Firewire or PCIe cards - both no longer supported - so iā€™m on borrowed time and need to change.

I think itā€™s the fact that thereā€™s no internal ins/outs that worries me, everything is running via the I/Os - and iā€™ve yet to speak to anyone who owns the digiface as it seems other models are vastly more popular.

From everything Iā€™ve read analog :left_right_arrow: ADAT conversion is generally in the sub millisecond range. So it adds less latency than being 2 meters from your guitar amp speaker.

1 Like

So eventually ended up with the following,
11900K,
Asus Z590 Rog Strix F (only because there was a bundle with this in stock, didnt need a Rog Strix),
32GB 3200 RAM
WD SN850 M.2 (1gb 7KMbs)
BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 4 Dual Tower
Bequiet 600w Pure Power 11 CM
Corsair 275Q case
Need to add another drive as 1GB is virtually full already.

1 Like

Congratulations on your nice new rig - and thanks for sharing what you ended up with!

With the various supply shortages these days, it really limits the options, which in a weird way can also be a good thing.

Fortunately it seems that SSDs are not in short supply, so expanding your storage shouldnā€™t be much of a problem.

Wow, I even found some documentation about your storage:

"IBM introduced the first hard disk drive to break the 1GB barrier in 1980. It was called the IBM 3380 and could store 2.52GB (ā€œ2.52 billion characters of information,ā€ according to IBM). Its cabinet was about the size of a refrigerator and the whole thing weighed in at 550 pounds (250 kg). It gave users rapid access to a large amount of data, thanks to transferring information at three million characters per second.":joy:

Where did you find it? :wink:

Sorry, couldnā€™t help myself, looks like a great new rig, have fun!
Cheers,
Benji

1 Like

Oops, I had to read your post 3 times before I realised what I had done lol.
Will be adding another m.2 gen 4 1TB drive and an SSD for back up soon.

2 Likes

So I am running the above with Cubase 11 Pro and Windows 10. The whole thing is running terribly.
If i drop the buffer to 64 I get drop out and the meters shoot up. This is even with only a few tracks with data on them. However I am using a template which has preloaded something like 16 x KK, 8 x Halion, 8 x Omnisphere, 8 xKorg legacy, 24 Audio with 2 fx sends on each (reverb and delay). Surely my specs should allow me to run this kind of project without issue. Even at 128 buffer I constantly max out on the meters. I want to re-install with windows 11 but seems most of the Native Instrument stuff is not yet listed as compatible. Any thoughts?

They might not do. I donā€™t know what kk is but some instruments are a lot more power hungry than others.