New PC Setup?

Hello Everyone,

I’m on a 2011 Macbook Pro and it’s starting to struggle on bigger projects so i think it’s time to get a new system.
I’ve been a Mac user for quite some time but Apple is not updating there line-up so i’m leaning towards building a Windows desktop.

I never build a pc so i was wondering if someone could give me some advice on the list i created?
Did some research so i think everything should work together but some expert advice is very much appreciated :smiley:

CPU: Intel Core i7-5960X
MOBO: ASRock Fatal1ty X99X Killer
RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 DDR4 32GB
GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 960 4GB
CASE: Fractal Design Define R5
COOLING: Corsair Hydro H110i
PSU: Corsair RM1000i
My current SSD for (OS) and Seagate SSHD for Samples etc.

Some advice on this build would be great!

Thanks!

Justus

Hi Justus

We are working on PCs for a long time and didn’t even look at Macs.
( ops, … doesn’t mean Macs are any bad…I am not starting on that topic again …LOL … well I might …)

Your line-up seems quite future proof, but your CPU is somewhat too heavy for the job, imho.
An i7-5960X costs about 1000 $ over here. We run systems on i7 3930K for half the price and they laugh
at any project we have thrown at them… Moving pics or audio.
X99X is a nice Mobo with lots of gaming power. If you don’t play on the machine there are more affordable ones.
The PSU is rather strong, but this is not necessarily a mistake. Maybe you run lots of extra stuff in the box.
The GTX 960 will handle everything Nuendo on 25% of its power, but for the occasional Gaming … Why not…

Have fun with it! A new machine is always exciting. Maybe have a look those Xeon set-ups.
That is where we will be going from now on …

Cheers, Big K

Hi Big K,

Thank you for your advice and taking the time to reply. My apologies for my late reply.
I know my list is a little bit overkill, but i’m also taking into account that plugins nowadays eat cpu’s for breakfast.
On my current setup i really have to be careful and manage what i can use. For some reason that really is a vibe killer when creating.

Maybe i should take a look at the i7 3930k as well.
Any advice on a cheaper motherboard and maybe a graphics card?

Thanks again for your time!

my cpu is an i7 6700K and I would not go lower, but thats just my opinion. I think, that it depends on, how much latency you can accept.