How to jump to a specific page?

I realise there is a next/prev page but where is the go to page x?
When you use qualifiers, they must jump to the relevant page???

I 've made a requsest earlier, I did not see your post

If you create several pages then you have the option to select each specific page. The thing is that the command reacts like a momentary switch and not as a toogled one.

1 Like

You can make a button on a page called ā€œpage 1ā€ that specifically calls another page like ā€œactivate mapping page 2ā€ and that same button on ā€œpage 2 ā€œ can call ā€œactivate mapping page 1.ā€

But if you have more than 2 pages you are better off using next to cycle through all of them. Next will go through all of them and not just stop on the last page.

Or you can have two buttons for next or previous.

Qualifiers dont actually work like that eg
You hold ā€˜shiftā€™ which jumps you to page 3
Release shift jumps back to Default

Will work out something but the real issue is how the switches react, naming, colours etc which dont seem to be flexible eg for key command buttons

What do you mean by qualifiers ? If you mean ā€œcan I use shift+ buttonā€ or ā€œcontrol+Buttonā€ then I have not found a way to give a button two uses on the same page which is a shame. Also I have found with my remote mapping the buttons do not always light up or go out as I might have expected. It would be great to get that working in the next release.

If you have a dual that can also be pressed you can assign that as a dial and then assign it as a button. Thatā€™s the only dual use I have found,

But if you go to the mapping assistant you can assign a button to go to a specific page. And the same button on the next page can be assign to go to a yet another different page. So multi uses are really done by duplicating the whole page and reassigning elements on the new page.

Itā€™s basic but it can work.

Hopefully they will allow presets to be assigned to MIDI channels so we can assign presets the midi channels. I always use ch 10 for drums. So it would be nice to have channel 10 midi always assigned to my drum preset and layout.

Just an idea as I have had to map out 5 rows of my most commonly used MIDI channels on the same cluttered sheet.

I have to do a lot of midi management because deeper levels of gesturing are a long way off it would seem; eg when i hold shift + button, it sends same midi event but on diff channel

The prob is that this, as in normal hardware, needs ā€˜persistent globalā€™ as well local to workā€¦but it doesnt, so the next easiest way is to use ā€˜qualifiersā€™. Ideally this could be hacked by having the 'shift; ā€˜ctrlā€™ etc off to the side and hidden during the gui.
That way holding shift jumps momentarily to the page and the buttons have a pseudo shifted value.

Use step back etc is an issue because its momentary and relies on the button up event to switch backā€¦for normal ux anyway

1 Like

Drums are a separate taskā€¦unless Im misunderstanding, this would be a different job/remote?
Well thats how Im thinking imvho

Yes I have a similar issue where my controller switches from controlling the EQ to controlling the sends if I press two buttons at the same time. But the midi remote mapping only allows a button to perform one task per page.

So I sent up two buttons to cycle through the previous or next page. I have eq controls on one page and sends on the next. I also have a button that goes direct back to the main page on each subsequent page so I donā€™t get lost lol.

Itā€™s not perfect and I would like modifiers like shift or control to cause addition button functions. Hopefully in the future.

1 Like

Iā€™ve been following your conversation with interest.

Iā€™ve been assuming that pages on the external controller and paging in the MIDI Remote are two entirely different things.

If the hardware controller uses pages, I configure the Midi Remote such that it thinks my hardware controller is a giant remote control surface. For example:
8 pages worth of 8 touch strips each on my Maschine Jam controller get represented in the MIDI REMOTE as a single page with 64 sliders.

Or on a a controller that has just a SHIFT to trigger the sending of different MIDI messages, I would map all of those controls into the MIDI Remote twice. How to make that visually the most informative and/or pleasing, will be a personal preference. - For the closest approximation of the hardware, I would probably make the MIDI Remote surface look like it would look if I had several hardware units lined up side by side (like you can do with some hardware controller expansion systems).

And in that case, when using the MIDI Remote Pages for a multi-page hardware controller, Iā€™d end up with an even higher number of potential assignments. For my example of a controller having 8 pages of 8 controls each (for a total of 64 hardware controls), each additional MIDI Remote page would give me another 64 controls,

Alternatively, one could also dumb down down the hardware controller into not having pages (that can be done with NI Maschine controllers, which in turn enables some of the paging buttons for use as additional MIDI controls. And then all the paging would only happen in the MIDI Remote ā€“ However that takes away the possible advantages that different hardware pages can make the buttons behave differently. For example the page 1, button 1 could send a note, and page 2 button 1 could send a CC, which might be desirable for some use cases.

1 Like

Its actually a lot deeper than thatā€¦in my application anyway (because its based on psychology ie left/right brain)

• Each button has 4 gestures
  • There are 3 qualifiers (that I just use singular)

This all exists on a spreadsheet so you work in overview and then just publish the xml and import to cubase

I already posted this but you can see the outcome in context

The cool thing is that you dont learn all that in one hit randomly; each button state points to a logical group of commands; and thats just a portion of it

I tried doing a 2x2 group for each ā€˜buttonā€™ in the remote editor but then there is the feedback issue; which makes them small, which is fine but currently you cant even rename the buttons either; thats why I suggested an info panelā€¦bit like the status bar in Live but simple and succinct like an MCU display which is bar far the least distracting and more utilitarian
I would simply keep it as a GR but that will eventually end and would like to take advantage of the graphics etc
This is just for the keypadā€¦which is in synergy with an mcu device so the qualifiers on the left hand are load balanced with the right hand ops.
Comined this with eg push encoders and the workflow is lighting
eg Double press encoder 2 and it opens up IFX 2 on selected channel
BUT
Keep it held on the second press and twist to inc/dec current pages of that IFX etc

There is a lot more to it. I thought the new remote stuff would really help but I can see now it wont.
I am thinking of putting a switch on the keypad which diverts the MCU device to another midi output and that can then be used as a midi remote.

At the momentā€¦there is a lot to learn
My end objective is about muscle memory and creating a mix/production instrument of its own standing

2 Likes

Your right the pages in a hardware controller and pages in the remote mapping are different things. But as you say, to make hardware act as expected, or as per the manual, itā€™s desirable to make the remote midi pages mimic the hardware pages as close as possible.

But itā€™s all a trade off. You have to get as close as you can given the limitations and then you have to start thinking about navigation to get to each page and back.

But why not just put it all on one page if possible. Thatā€™s certainly an option. Mine is the Steinberg CC121 which will eventually have M1 drivers so I do not want to make it too different from what the real drivers will deliver. But also the buttons on it serve more than one purpose so, as you noted, I need different pages to make one button do two things.

It can be fun coming up with a good alternative solutions but also infuriating when it does not quite do what you want lol

Maybe an easy workaround for steiny would be a ā€˜zoom to focusedā€™ function where you can have large layouts but a frame that groups elements. Whenever a control in that group is activated, the focus of the move to fit that group frame to the extents of the window?

1 Like

Yes there are lots of things they could do but right now it is very basic. I actually got my CC121 working almost as per the manual but it took a couple of hours of guess work and trial and error lol

Great work!
Yep, just adding the suggestions so it floats among as many as possible
Navigating large layouts is something I do a lot in Lucidchart ie animating and its pretty effective

1 Like

Frames can also be hidden etc which can be useful. Also it would help if we could control the buttons with On Focus, or Lose Focus etc so we can control lights on and off. Rather like the old VBA buttons with properties we can change.

2 Likes

Yes indeed - and now Iā€™ve started to dive into the JavaScript API to see how far that can be pushed.

A hard limitation will obviously be, which Cubase objects and commands can be addressed via the new API, and I think that still has some limitations compared to the Generic Remote - especially around Inserts. I hope that either Iā€™m wrong on that or that this is a temporary shortcoming for the very new API.

1 Like

Me too!
Would be good if invisibility is includedā€¦for a lot of reasons but also, then you could just convert the xml GR into null objects and allow easy migration without too much fuss

I havenā€™t look too closely but seems almost verbatimā€¦hopefully they fixed all the naming inconsistencies and casing???

I believe that, now with the new FQC, the limitations around addressing inserts are a huge thing. A command to focus to a slot-plugin and maybe a command to open the FQC panel, so you can check the assignment. The basic idea of putting your hands on a controller and leave them there as long as you can.

1 Like