[new song] Live without

Hi Kevin, I’m listening to the latest Soundcloud version, I think. You mentioned a bandcamp version, but I didn’t see a link. Got your PM too. The drums on this version sound a lot better, I think. I probably wouldn’t make a remark on it. You could continue to experiment with it. The bass still has wrong notes to my ears in the same section; you should check it carefully. Don’t ever get me wrong; your stuff is great, so I just want to help.

For the loudness point, certainly Ian can help, he knows how to use those tools. I got carried away and wrote a reply to a thread on mastering which would encapsulate all the advice I could give, which is amateur at best. That is here: Computer für Audioanwendungen - WaveLab - Steinberg Forums

I’m not so comfortable posing as an expert. But I don’t mind sharing what I’ve learned.

Keep them coming. And keep supplying those lovely avatar pictures!

Thanks early21…would never get you wrong, it’s the comments from yourself and others on this forum that’s got me this far, thanks for taking the time to bother…will take a look at that thread…regarding the avatar pics…will do…Kevin

Hey Kevin,

I think you’re onto something with this new version, the drum licks sound much improved. I do think that the drum samples should be more aggressive but it’s always a matter of taste.

would love to get em more aggressive and bigger but if I do they drown out the song…just aint got the skills mate… :frowning: cheers, Kevin

Izotope and some other independent producers have some good videos/tutorials on Youtube for this. Trash 2 is one of the only plugins I own and I learned how to make my percussion tracks sound bigger, crisper and punchier without EQing which just made them sound ‘boomy’ and ‘muddy’ and without simply raising the volume just from watching the Trash 2 tutorials on the Izotope Youtube channel even though my percussion is mainly ethnic drums and the video was with a modern drum kit the same principles applied near enough. The same principles could be applied to other plugins/products of the same/similar type too.

cheers Jonathan…as you know I’ve got Ozone but everytime i use it I reckon the track sounds worse (did watch the tuts) will take a look at Trash 2…Kevin

Well I think the mix is pretty nice, and the processing seems to be working well. Idk if you are using Jamstix or what, but I was thinking more modern samples rather than more processing. Again if you haven’t already it might be time to give Superior a shot, it’s really good stuff now that I’ve gotten in to it. And of course you can keep elements of Jamstix or whatever that you already like.

Like I say, it’s all taste and the drums you used are doing the job.