New song

Nice work. I like the bass lines, and the bass tone is nice and round.
I like the guitar solo that starts at 2:26. The tone and phrasing reminds me a little of Mike Oldfield’s guitar solos. So did the delay on the lead guitar. Very nice touch.
Thanks for sharing the tune!

I like this, the lyrics are very meaningful to me. However, the mix is really bothering me. I’ve listened 3 times now, but can’t get a grip on it. I will come back to it later on. A couple things strike me immediately:

the lead vocal has a bit too much presence on it

the vocal sings the tonic WAY too much, almost to where it becomes annoying. It would help if you could vary things up a bit

the heavily reverberent vocal at 2:00 and again at 4:00 is too loud

I don’t like the snare. Oh well :laughing:

I really like the idea of the song and the “retro” sound and vibe it has. This song could be really cool with a little more clarity in the top end, since the low end is sitting rather nicely.

The top end sounds very fuzzy for some reason though. It is specially noticeable when the distorted guitar comes in, as it almost sounds like it was smeared over the rest of the sounds (very harsh frequencies). You might be compressing the high end a little too much, or pushing the EQ too hard on those higher frequencies.

Nice job on the composition side though. Pretty cool lyrics as well.

Great job, think the mix is really good you’re skills have really come miles in mixing. I agree about the reverb but that is always a matter of taste.

Have you tried any of the harmonizing or chord stuff in Cube 7 yet. I bet you could really use it well on this tune during chorus, just a thought and might not work but would be fun to play with :slight_smile:
Kenny

Well, I’m a fan of your songs as you know… and this one shares a title in common with one of my own, so I had to check it out! :slight_smile:

Your mixes generally sound very “80’s” to me… which is not a bad thing in my eyes, afterall… I’m of an even older vintage! :laughing: This one sounds a little rich on the FX to my ears and could be a little fatter I think … and as you know, I always hear potential for more in the arrangements of your material :wink: But I enjoyed the song never-the-less.

You write some great rock ballads and this is yet another fine example. Nice song, once again! :sunglasses:

Really nice song–catchy, singable. I like vocals and the vocal treatments, although if it were me, I think I’d feel self-conscious about using so much FX. EQ seems a little strange in the high-mid frequencies. I’m not sure. It just doesn’t seem as smooth as it could be. Others smarter than me have already addressed this though, so I’ll shut up.

Really liked this. Great work!

I think in regards to vocals you’re probably one of the most accomplished here and probably have some unique insights. :wink:

Nice one, Kevin. Well organized song. I think it’s the kick I don’t care for that much… too much reverb maybe or something. But another of your excellent contributions here, thanks for putting it up.

Hi…been away a few weeks so sorry for the late reply, as always thanks to everyone for taking time out to comment, It’s through the comments from this forum that I’ve got to where I am with my stuff, I think production wise I’ll never get it right because I just can’t do it!!!
I just do the best I can can but I’m never happy with the end result and the more I fiddle with it the worse it gets.

twilightsong…“what is Singing the tonic” I will look it up on the net but an explanation from you might help me put it right quicker…always appreciate your straight up comments…

andresgp…what would you do to achieve clarity at the top end?..every time I try it chops my head off…

sherz…the only fx on this track are the lexicon verb and abbey road comp plus delay on lead guitar…it must be the verb that’s giving it the 80’s feel…maybe I should get rid of it…

thanks again everyone and good to be back…Kevin

Hi, like I said in my other reply only using rev and comp…oh and forgot, delay on led guitar, is that too much fx?
maybe I’m doing something else wrong…(more than likely) thanks for looking in…Kevin

thanks for the support jonathan…Kevin