new StaffPad released for Win 10 and iOS with pen

Strange that dorico messes up the import.
Any updates in your experience with this?

Love the idea of sketching things in staffpad and working on catwalks in dorico.
Also the idea of writing midi in Cubase,importing in staffpad and write some ideas while traveling or getting an actual tan,instead of the studio tan :sunglasses:

My last few arrangements on StaffPad did not come in to Dorico well at all. I had spurious 8th note rests and unneeded time signatures appearing—none of the barlines matched up vertically. I spent an hour or two trying to tidy it up but in the end, was quicker creating the required parts in Dorico as a new song. There were other oddities, even though SP has clear notation showing, it should be simple to import. I am hoping to try Musescore or my old version of Sibelius or Finale (although I assume they will not work on my newer OSs) as either the final or intermediary (to get into Dorico) for the next project.

Hopefully the next update of SP will have some improvements, I assume they test export into Dorico and others.

Using some of the sample libraries available for SP however produce a very acceptable sound, so much so, that for some projects all I need is to export the audio stems from SP into Nuendo (or Logic). The problem is the notation thing if others need a chart.

Did you experiment with the XML import settings in Dorico?
If you have time, it would be interesting to download a sample xml that you exported with StaffPad! (thanks!)

In another post in this thread (below) it appears that an xml export from SP imports well in Sibelius7, so I can imagine something goes wrong in Dorico and a SP update is not necessarily the answer…

A little update;

I wrote some simple strings stuff in StaffPad, exported as xml and imported in Dorico 3.5.
At least for simple scores it looks very good!

(* there might be different notes in the versions because of some time difference, sorry)

I tried to cut down the score and delete various instruments that were not playing, and decided to change some notes (copyright), but unfortunately this ended up taking away most of the errors that were coming up. It had some spurious double barlines in a 6/4 on one instrument stave separating it into 4/4 then the barlines on either side with a rest to make up the bar, so it at least was accurate. Another had the spurious eighth (quaver) note rest as mentioned.
Going into Musescore it was slightly better but not completely.

I am wondering if changing time signatures (from one to another, then perhaps to another) while there are notes already in the score in SP, and/or erasing notes and replacing them with another, or dragging to change the note length might be creating some kind of problem with the underlying translation to XML, so a clean entry of notes does not produce the problems.

Anyway, sorry I cannot provide what I was working on. It looks like you have done some tests and found it is working for you.

I have another project I am working on which will need the same procedure, so will try Musescore next and see if there is a better chance of producing the player’s chart. I was avoiding doing this, because I have forgotten how Musescore works now I have been using Dorico since it was released.