New to Cubase Pro 8.5 + Introduction

Hey Steinberg community,

I’ve just purchased Cubase Pro 8.5 and love it. I’m a big music lover and want to pursue a career in Audio Engineering.
So far to get started I have a Midi controller, purchased versions of Sylenth1, Nexus 2 , U-He Diva & Zebra 2 + DarkZebra soundset. plus the VST’s included with Cubase Pro. I hope that’s enough to get me started! :slight_smile:
Does anyone know the best way to learn in depth building a track from start to finish? My main music style is Deep House/Tech House.

But I’d also like to work on some classic projects like from the early era of 2000’s when music was golden & unique.
to get an idea this is one track I’d like to emulate in some way but with my own ideas.

Any advice and help would be greatly appreciated.

Hope to be part of this community for a long long time.

Hi and welcome…! There’s an awful lot in Cubase to explore and to get you making some top tunes… :slight_smile:

You’ve bought some stellar synths there too, and was a great idea to get a MIDI controller for the ‘hands-on’ sound tweaking.

Really, to start off with, the thing to do is put a weekend aside and do a thorough binge on YouTube… ask (type in) specific questions about what you want to know, in relation to Cubase itself or to the synth or whatever. See what comes up, and surf around what takes your fancy. But, you knew this already of course… :slight_smile:

From there, you can come back and ask (be more informed) about certain gotchas or tips you’re running into/need.

By the way, I’m not a House/EDM guy - but there are many others here who are top notch at it… :slight_smile:

Hope that helps.

Good luck.!

Welcome, like Puma said that’s a neat selection of synths to get started with :slight_smile:
The question is if your PC will be able to run it well. You didn’t mention what you are using and which audio interface you have, but I believe specifically the U-HE plugins can be rather taxing on your system.
Time will tell though, don’t worry about that just yet!

There are many ways to get started, and depending on your background, there might be a lot to learn. There are a lot of options in Cubase, many of which you won’t initially need. I suggest you take a look at the quick start guide which should help you getting set up initially.
As for the actual process of building a track: there’s no right or wrong here. That depends very much on your creative process. There is no right or wrong here, if it sounds good it’s good.
I do suggest you take some time to understand how the signal flow works in Cubase, because that will help you understand what’s going on, and in case something goes wrong it’ll help you figure out why.
In your case it’s relatively simple because you’re not recording ‘real-world’ sources, all your sounds are generated in software. Cubase gives you a lot of freedom in signal flow (pre/post fader sends, inserts, eq etc), so figure out what that means exactly so you can make conscious choices there.

And if you have specific questions, there are plenty of people around here to help! :slight_smile:

Thank you both for the welcome and advice !
Curently I’m Running on a iMac 27 Inch 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 GB Ram , 1 TB HD (Needs an upgrade to SSD)
Audio Interface - RME Babyface
Studio Monitors - Dynaudio BM5A MK2
I need to also invest in some room acoustic treatment. Because working in my bedroom is hard because the sound is all over the place. :confused:

Oh very nice, that’s some excellent hardware too.
Whoever hooked you up on all that stuff did a good job.

I wish I had that money to spend when I first started :wink:

I did actually lol took time to build this studio up. A lot of research and money spent.