New to DAWs. Have CB trial - No sound

I have signed up for the Cubase 13 trial. I’m completely new to DAWs. I cannot get any sound out of the program. I am using a PC. I’ve played sound files in the media bay but nothing is playing through my speakers.
I realise I must be a complete nonce, but if anyone out there can offer guidance, I would be very grateful. - Thanks :slight_smile:

Hi and welcome to the forum,

Double-check the Studio > Studio Setup > Audio System. Make sure, the ASIO driver of your choice is selected.

Then double-check the Studio > Studio Setup > Audio Connecting > Outputs. Make sure the Stereo Out is assigned to the wanted Audio Port (output).

Hi Martin, thank you for responding.
I’ve done as you ask, still no noise.

Any guidance you can given would be great. Thanks :slight_smile:

Hi,

Please, don’t use VST System Link at all. Deactivate it. You don’t need it. VST System Link is here is you want to connect and sync two computers with Cubase.

In the top menus choose “Studio”, then “Studio Setup” as in your picture but on the left at the top, select “Audio System” here you can identify your ASIO driver, latency, floating point precision, ASIO guard, change your Power Scheme to the Steinberg one (a must) and if you are suffering any record latency alter the timings to help mitigate it.

Once you are sure you have the selected the correct audio system driver for ASIO at the top of the window (Cubase exclusively uses ASIO) close the menu, go back to “Studio” then choose “Audio Connections” (or press F4). You have six menus across the top, right now you really only need to concentrate on “Inputs”, “Outputs” and “Control Room”.

If you have inputs but they are not showing, just click on “Add Bus”, create a Bus, then create an input (stereo in, mono in, etc.) and assign them to the ports available.

Next in “Outputs” if you do not have a “Stereo Out” device create one via the “Add Bus” button (I am assuming you are using a 2 channel stereo setup, you can create many others) and if you are using Professional ensure that “Audio Device” and “Device Port” and both “Not Connected” and jump to the next paragraph, otherwise set your Bus to a “Stereo Out” and connect the bus to the relevant L and R Device Ports. This should have your audio doing something and you can go from here (again if using Pro, don’t do that, read on)

Click on the “Control Room” tab at the top and create a Bus of type “Monitor”, choose your Audio device under the heading, link the ports, 1 for each audio channel. Next click the lower case “e” in the top left of the “Audio Connection” window to open “Control Room”.

This next part is dependent on your audio setup but again I am going to assume for ease of explanation a basic 2 channel stereo amplifier setup. Ensure the “CR” tab at the top is selected (Meter is important but you can play with that, I would recommend using SuperVision, which seeing as you are reading this you have as it comes with Professional)

Under “Downmix Presets” you can create various formats to pass your output through which you switch between with a click, I for example, have no.1 as a Mono downmix and no.2 as Stereo, so I can easily switch between them for comparison during the creation process.

Under “Monitors” create an “A” monitor and give it a name. The last section at the bottom allows you to apply paths, levels, and to using a Reference Level should you need. So, ensure the small button to the left of “Main” is blue, so on, as nothing will happen otherwise, you can then use the three small buttons to the left of the red “Control Room Level” level knob to turn on/off Dim Signal, Set a Reference Level and the metronome.

You have a rudimentary meter to the right and of course the knob to control your levels in the middle. The three pieces of information under the knob but above the bottom tabs should show your signal chain - i.e. mine is A then Stereo then 2 - this tells me I am using “Downmix Preset” number 2 which is a Stereo pathway and is going to “Monitor” A.

I hope this helps and at the very least gives you a springboard, if I can be of any further help, feel free to DM me, I may not respond instantly as my health is not great ATM but I get there in the end, failing that there are many, many helpful and far more knowledgeable peeps right here on the forums who can help, again it can sometimes be a slow process but it works.

Best of luck.

The manual may provide a bit of help in addition to the excellent advice from the reticulated python.

Thank you to Martin.Jirsak, reticulatedpython and farfaraway I appreciate the advice - I’m still trying to get the sound to work, sigh.