New to "this" (and I mean ALL of this) - how do I setup guitar signal before even starting DAW?

Hey guys, I bought a UR44C and after some hiccups in the beginning, it works. Now I need to know how to properly set up my guitar signal because somehow it is either to loud or not loud enough:

So - how do I adjust my guitar signal correctly? I have:

• Guitar Volume Control
  • Gain Control Audio Interface
  • Output Controller Audio Interface
  • Volume control Windows
  • Volume Control Boxes (Microlab Solo 15C)

So I assume if the “peak light” on the UR44C is flashing when hitting the strings, it is too much gain - but it almost flashes. Somewhere I read to put a DI between the guitar and the UR44C - true?

The only thing I think I understood somehow is that there is “gain” and “volume” and I think that gain refers to the input signal and that you can affect the input signal from the guitar (does the “gain”-knob on UR44C do the samething as the guitar volume knob insofar?) and the output signal from the UR44C which again relates to volume. Is that correct?

yes, the gain on your soundcard will gain your signal just like the volume on your guitar. open up Cubase and monitor your input signal there. find a combination that you are comfortable with. Just make sure your signal isn’t too hot or too weak, play for a few minutes to find your way to a comfortable range where you have headroom for intense parts and enough signal for quieter parts.
I am not sure about the lights on your interface, but normally red is too much - mostly green is great and the lights only light up on occasion probably would be a little low.

DI box may be a good solution but not a must in the studio - https://www.fender.com/articles/tech-talk/why-you-should-consider-using-a-di-box

you can also use a compressor to record. hardware is not reversible, but these days you can even record with software plugins inside Cubse like eq, amps, reverb and so on… and once you are done recording you can keep the original signal and put on a whole new fx chain.

anyways, just keep experimenting on your sound and technique to get the best results. Making great recordings ain’t easy so just put in the work and you will get there