New UR44C issues

Hi Bison204!
Thank you for your response!
Ok, now i understand the difference!
Isn’t that very confusing?
Why are there so many different USB plugs with the same format?
I actually thought blue alone would tell me whether I have the right USB 3.0 or not!
Very bad!
The driver tells me that I am now operating the UR44C with high-speed USB 3.0.
Is that not so?
USB 3.0 cable but the PC doesn’t even give it, even though it’s listed as USB 3.0?

Yes, you are correct. You are operating at USB 3 speeds, as indicated by your driver.
If your computer has USB-C (or thunderbolt) ports, you could run a USB-c cable (same small rounded plug on both ends) and you could power the UR44C from your computer.

Super confusing, I know. I had to look it up also. I believe USB-c is relatively new so unless your computer is equally new, you likely don’t have them.

@OldOakStudio
Thx!
Now i understand, why @marlizm wrote “this cable wasn’t included in the package though…”
OK, my PC is about 6 jears old, so i don’t have USB 3.0c :frowning:

How did you route the extra ADAT outputs? Direct 9-16 does not exist.
I have routed those to mix 2.3 and 4 ( 1 is occupied by the mains), so you only have 6 extra outputs not 8. Am I correct?

@ca-booter
That’s the impression I also got from the manual.
Yet, I tested using DAW direct 1 - 8 on my ADAT-connected unit.
It seems that outputs “TO DAW” 9 - 16 are used. (refer to block diagram.)
It works anyway. The signals are definitely routed directly to the DAW.
We seem to need a manual update here from Steinberg.
I have muted all input channels in dspMIXfx.
Muting and monitoring can be controlled from my Cubase Pro 11.

There is no Daw direct out 9-16 present as an option, I can’t see those on the Blockdiagram.
I have the UR816C for over a year now and I am using all 16 ins and outs for external hardware. It works for me like this:
the 8 line outs in the UR816C are fed from within Cubase with the Daw direct outs 1-8, that’s easy.
Then comes the hard part: The 8 outputs on the ADAT unit are fed from mixes 2, 3 and 4 on the UR816C. Mix 1 you cannot use, those are the mains and are reserved for the DAW stereo output. But I use mix 4 for 4 units which I never use at the same time, so I can swop those.
I really cannot see any other way of giving signals to the extra Adat outputs.
For all 16 inputs there isn’t any problem.
It’s a shame that there not seperate DAW direct outs 9-16, I agree, but give up your hope because Steinberg does not care about any service or fixes on the URC series.

@ca-booter
Actually, block diagram shows:
“Direct out 1”, routed to “Input 1”
“Direct out 2”, routed to “Input 2”
“Direct out 3/4”, routed to “Input 3/4”
“Direct out 5/6”, routed to “Input 5/6”
“Direct out 7/8”, routed to “Input 7/8”
“Direct out 9/10”, routed to “ADAT 1/2”
“Direct out 11/12”, routed to “ADAT 3/4”
“Direct out 13/14”, routed to “ADAT 5/6”
“Direct out 15/16”, routed to “ADAT 7/8”

My dspMIXfx settings:
Line output 1 L/R: DAW Direct 1/2
Line output 2 L/R: DAW Direct 3/4
Line output 3 L/R DAW Direct 5/6
Line output 4 L/R DAW Direct 7/8
ADAT output 1/2: DAW Direct 1/2
ADAT output 3/4: DAW Direct 3/4
ADAT output 5/6: DAW Direct 5/6
ADAT output 7/8: DAW Direct 7/8
I only use Mix1 for monitoring.

I PMed you, that might be easier…

On 2/25 I posted a question. When in Cubase, although I had tracks muted, I was hearing the instrument. Someone suggested I turn on Direct Monitoring but I’m pretty sure doing that turns off some guitar and bass VST FX. I found a solution was to open DSP and solo the DAW track, muting the other tracks. That works but I’m finding when I’m in a project, the DSP went back to all tracks playing. I don’t understand if there’s a way to save the DSP with the DAW?

I’ve been using different templates I recently made so I wonder if the DSP settings are somehow saved within a project or project template?

No the setings on the DSPfxmix software you have to save in that software itself. I do it that way.
I have a special preset where all channels on the URC are muted.
When I do other stuff with the URC/DSPmix then I have to use amnother preset I’ve made.
Cubase does not save anything from your interface

1 Like

I’ve created a preset in DSPMix UR-C and I’d like it to be my default when opening, so each time I boot the computer and Cubase, I don’t have to remember to go into DSPMix UR-C v 1.5.0 and pick my preset. Is there a way to do that?

My UR816C opens always in the last preset and that’s my most used one. I stored this under nr. 1 (0= inital data)

Tx for the reply. I’m not sure I follow what you mean by saving. When “0=initial data” is showing, I’ve tried pressing Store but it shows me this where there isn’t an option to save over the 0=initial data?

Then, while on 0=initial data, I clicked my DAW to Solo and tried File-Save, but it wanted a location and I’m not sure where to store it, if this will overwrite the 0=initial like I think you were saying?

When the manual describes a Cubase window where you can pick a scene, it says,

“Automatically applies scene information to the UR44C
device when loading a Cubase project file containing
UR44C scene data.
NOTICE
Data saved to the device will be overwritten.”

but, that window has just a checkbox saying, “Load scene data from project file”:

I don’t understand where, in a project, you define which “scene data” to use? I think it “might” be under the Hardware Rack. . . but my Hardware Rack is missing, which seems to be a several year glitch not fixed. So now I’m going down the list of “hopeful” fixes, “hoping” one works for me. Seriously Steinberg?!

2 Likes

I only store my presets in the Dspfxmix APP. Becaquse I always open and uise that app when I am working in CUbase. YOu can save a preset there while choosing a Row in that store list. WHen you click on 4 f.e. and create a name, it will be stored under the 4th preset. I leave the 0 position as a reset.
Each tiome I open the dspfxmix App it opens in my last chosen preset, easy…
In cubase I do nothing.

I had my DSPMix set to my “DAW Only” preset which just solos the DAW channel. I haven’t noticed the DSPMix removing the solo to where I hear raw instrument inputs again, but I’ve been working with the same 1 or 2 projects for a while. Today, I just opened a project I haven’t worked on in a while and my solo button in the DSPMix was turned off so I heard raw instruments again. I haven’t had time to chase the rabbit hole as to why my Hardware Rack is missing in the mixing window, which might, or might not impact the DSPMix. This is such a small thing but sooooo infuriating!

The Hardware reack only appears when you turn off the Controlroom, or when you make two extra outputports in Cubase… I never use the HW rack, I always make my adjustments and metering in the dspFxmix.

I believe my Control Room is disabled?

Hopefully I’ve added two test outputs as you were describing:

I don’t see the Hardware Racks

Hardware rack is no longer in mixconsole window. It used to be with older Cubase and ur tools versions.

When you make a new audiotrack in the inspector you will see the URC hardware Rack.

1 Like

Thank you, thank you, thank you! It’s there!