New User No sound in Dorico

This is getting more and more weird. In the last project you provided, again, the port mapping is missing. I attached a new project, where I did the apply default template thing, and it does sound here with me. If you load that, what is the result?

Also strange that a new piano project makes no sound with you. Could you please zip up the VSTAudioEngine_64 folder and post here?

Thanks very much.
clar trio4.zip (1.04 MB)

Ulf: the newer piano project does make sound, and was created after I started having this problem again, but the older piano project that I made when the sound was working doesn’t play back. Will have to try the latest file you sent a bit later.

thanks, Richard

As already mentioned earlier, it would be good to know the circumstances of how you work with the projects. Because the port mappings don’t disappear just like that, so you must have opened the projects, modified somehow and saved them again and during this saving then that particular info gets lost. So is there something special or particular worth mentioning?

The last file you attached, cltrio4, played back just fine. Before that I also started a new test project which is attached, and that worked fine. However, the older project Bluebirds still does not play back. It seems as if something went missing in the earlier files preventing play back that was either restored by my opening a new project not using the piano, or the new file you sent me.

Thanks, Richard
bluebirds.zip (209 KB)
fltub1.zip (364 KB)

Same problem here Ulf … any help please?

Installed yesterday, sound was fine, now no longer works at all.

MacBook Pro Touch Bar running OS X 10.12.1

Yes, from the data fltub1 looks fine, but clearly bluebird won’t play. I’ve attached again a new version with the engine data deleted. Please load that and do the apply default template trick yourself, as I’m currently at home and don’t have a Dorico copy here. See what that does for you.
bluebirds new.zip (108 KB)

Hi jgregmiller,

thanks for the upload. I’ve had a look and from the engine data it looks fine, the port mappings are fine, so I would expect sound coming out with you. In your case I suspect it is more on the system level. Since you use Built-in Audio, are you sure that the volume is high enough resp. not muted? Is sound coming out if you e.g. use iTunes or watch YouTube in a browser?

Cheers,
Ulf

Here’s something to try, as it may have worked for me. Start a new project for a couple of different instruments and see if they play back. I had to start a new project version of a previous one that wouldn’t play anymore, then copy paste the remainder and it’s working, but the original won’t play back. Seems like a bug to me.

Hello,
I have the same problem, I get no sound

My config Lenovo Ultrabook X1 Yoga Core i7 ssd win10
Test1.zip (301 KB)

Hi Stefan,

yes, I can “see” that :wink:
But in your case, there is no port mapping information, because there is no output port detected at all. The engine only detects two input ports, namely

Unfortunately, input ports are not used in Dorico, it’s only output ports that matter. Have you maybe disabled your speakers/audio output devices on the system level? If you open the Sound control panel (Press the Windows key and type sound), what Playback devices are listed?

Hi Ulf,

I have add you a screenshot from the audio config.

In the sound config ist listed as playback speaker / headphones
I think this settings are correct.
The output from windows is working. I have sound on the speaker and headphones.
Do you have an idea, where the problem is?

Regards
Stefan

Hi Stefan,
thanks for the pics. Now I know where the problem is.
We have a known issue that we have a fix for in the 1.0.20 update.
And as it just happens, this update is to become available today.
Don’t know exact time, but please wait for an announcement during the day.

Cheers,
Ulf

Hi,

I"m having this same problem with Apogee Symphony I/O. No audio output. I have installed the 1.0.20 update and that didn’t solve the problem. Other applications can output sound through the apogee, so the problem is only with Dorico. Like a previous user said, I can’t select Symphony as the Audio Device and have it stick. Also, I’m wondering why built-in doesn’t work? Why isn’t that using the default audio output I have selected in System Preferences?

thanks

Hi, that with the Apogee Symphony is a known issue that we have a fix for, but not in the current 1.0.20, yet; it will come in the 1.0.30 update (can’t tell though when it will get released.)
In the meantime, would you please try following workaround: Open the app Applications/Utilities/Audio MIDI Setup and create an Aggregate Device. In the left bottom corner is a little “+” button, click on it and choose “Create Aggregate Device”. Then your Symphony shall get listed and then you tick the “Use” check box. That’s it. Then back to Dorico and in the Device Setup you will find the new item “Aggregate Device” in the list of audio drivers. Choose that and Dorico will play out via your Symphony.

So hey everybody,

to respect Daniels request to not open unnecessary threads, I’ve been to some threads touching my problem, but I think this one might be right to contribute to.
As well as some others, it’s not possible for me to get Dorico playing in a specific project.
Due to my consultation of this and other threads, I tried a few things, which have been brought up to solve problems.
First up, creating a new project does work, sound is playing through my interface, in general Dorico works.
But in this specific Project, HSSE and the Mixer (and of course everything else behind them in the chain) are not showing any reaction in play mode, despite the hopefully correct connection of the players via the midi channels.
It might be worth to mention, that there’s also no output playing the HSSE internal keyboard.
I already tried the “Load Sounds for unassigned instruments” command as well as the “apply standard sound-templates” (using the german version, no idea what the correct name is), both brought no benefit to the situation.
Knowing that new projects seem to work would bring me to the conclusion to just work in these projects, but sadly the problem causing one should serve as the template.

Is there any help for my problem?
Thank you in advance!
No_sound_dorico.dorico.zip (1.31 MB)

Hi Cloudy,

yes, as you might have read in other threads, we do sometimes have problems with port mapping information getting lost. This happens rarely, but if, the more annoying it is to our customers.
Unfortunately we haven’t found a reproduction to the problem, yet, so we don’t know when or how this happens. You could help us if you tell us how you were working with the project. Did you move the project between computers, did you change sound device, things like that?

I took your project and deleted the audio engine data from it and attached again here. If you load that, then go to Play Mode and choose the menu item Play > Apply Default Playback Template, you should be able to hear sound again. Save the project again and continue working on it.

Sorry for the inconvenience. As I say, we are on the case, but couldn’t get a grip on it, yet.

Cheers,
Ulf
No_sound_dorico2.zip (810 KB)

Ulf, thank you so much!
I’m blown away by your assistance for everyone, you’re like the good fairy of Dorico, thank you!

The file was indeed transferred and stored between Macs, via Dropbox, and there might have been some audio device changes between the Internal Sound device and my Clarett. But the problem has been around some time, so it’s hard to reconstruct the exact workflow by now, I’m sorry.
I will definitely pay attention to any odd things, it happened once with my configuration, maybe the 2nd time give’s us a better insight.

Thank you for everything,

Cloudy

You’re welcome. Well, I think Daniel helps much more on the Dorico side, but I consider myself as the good fairy behind the audio engine. Not that I actually developed it, but to help make it work on any computer.
But definitely, let me know if you have any further clues of what might have caused your trouble.