New user, some questions on score editor

Hi,

New user here. Just bought Cubase 8.5 pro. First of all, it is amazing and the customization option are really good. That being said, I have a couple of questions…None of them are deal breaker but it could help my workflow. I previously used Sonar and love to use the score editor for polyphonic passage and some orchestral stuff. So my questions are :

1. Is there a way to have the score scroll horizontally? When I hit play, I’d like to be able to see the score in a horizontal way and not in page view.

2. Is there a way to have a note sound when I place it without having to hold the note when I have acoustic feedback active?

3. Can I set a key signature for all the midi track in a project at the same time? For example, if I open an orchestral template, I’d like to be able to set a key signature for the whole project and be able to change that signature each I modulate.
    EDIT: Ok, I’ve found how to do this, in scores>settings>projects>notation style. Is there a way to make those setting default?

4. Would it be possible to have the piano roll window in my second monitor at the same time when I open the score editor? (Very specific, but you never know :slight_smile:

None of these issues are a deal-breaker, as I don’t use the score editor that much, but the presence of the score editor was definitely a big factor in me choosing Cubase. And so far, the score is already much more powerful than the staff view in Sonar. Also, sorry for my english, I’m not a native english speaker. Thanks!!

Hi,

1. Disable the Page Mode in the Score menu.

2. I’m not sure, I understand your point. Do you inserting, or moving the Note? Do you ask for the instance Acoustic feedback?

3. Of course. You could open all Editors at once.

Set up a basic Project however you like (Score Settings, go to Instruments, Group & Effect Channels, whatever) and save it as a Template. Then use that Template to start new projects. FYI, even though I’ve been using Cubase for ages I maintain a list of all the small tweaks I want to make to my basic Template and every 6 months or so go in and update it.

Thanks everyone for the answer.

Template. Hadn’t thought about that. Thanks

1. I have page mode disabled. What I mean is, let’s say I have a 32 bar melody, I’d like to have all the bar on a single line, if it makes sense, with the staff going on vertically, like the panorama mode in Sibelius. But I’ve searched everywhere, I don’t think it’s possible. I’ll get used to it.

2. I have acoustic feedback on. When I insert a note, I need to hold the click on the mouse to hear the note. I’m wondering if it’s possible to hear the note with a single click, without having to hold the mouse button. Hope it makes sense.

Thank you again for your answers.

I don’t have Sibelius so I can’t be sure this is exactly what you want. But if you only have a single track open in the Score Editor with Page Mode off you can get it to display as single long line. Just re-size the Score Window height until only a single staff is shown and there is no vertical scroll bar. This can be a bit fiddly to set just right, but it can be done. You might want to save that as a Workspace for easy recall later.

1. I see. The count of the lines depends on the window width and the count of displayed scores in this mode.

2. I’m afraid, this is also not possible.