new window handling

Tried it again. START+2 brings me to a window I don’t want to see in my browser (as I had multiple open), and START+5 brings me back to Nuendo Project window instead of the mixer.

Doesn’t work.

Doesn’t matter. Suppose you have two monitors and want to expand your EQ section in the mixer. Project window is in focus and you have a key command set for expanding that. Does it work for you? Doesn’t work here.

Ok, so you said you’d like to see that anyway, right? So then take into account that for some weird reason “show channels connected to first selected” in visibility agents only in the mixer, not in the project page. So you’re on the project page and want to see only the channels controlled by the VCA you’ve currently got selected. You press your key command. Nothing happens. You have to again focus the mixer in order to get the command to work.

+1
An in addition to that, sometimes I don’t even know where to click… If I just want to select a channel for example, it seems that everywhere some mouse-over-functions are hidden in between.

+1
This Aero is terrible. First time, that a studio software forces me to use a particular optical setting.

This does not work here. I do not get Nuendo stretched, this background is only on my screen#1, where I have the mixer. Is there a trick to stretch the Nuendo-Background all over my screens?

I work on a system with 4 screens, and never had any inconveniences with the old window-management. Workspaces worked like a charme, I could decide which optical setting I want to use by myself, and Nuendo was a single programm on taskbar and on task manager. Now it seems like I have 6 softwares running at a time. I’m still looking for the reason why anybody decided to get hands on this, I mean, I can imagine a lot of other real improvements I would have liked to see instead (not saying that N6/7 did not offer some of these), but I am still not seeing any benefit on this one.

J L Bowie wrote:
If you prefer the way 6.5 looked, then stretch Nuendo across the screens per usual. It’s not 100% the way it was, but close.

This does not work here. I do not get Nuendo stretched, this background is only on my screen#1, where I have the mixer. Is there a trick to stretch the Nuendo-Background all over my screens?

You are correct, I misspoke about being able to stretch Nuendo’s menu bar across all screens as in 6.5 and earlier. Sorry about that.
I might mention one more time, however, be sure to turn off Transparent Glass and one of the more annoying aspects of Aero will disappear.

Hiding and then again maximizing the software … What an adventure this is!

I had to give up on that. Another very annoying negative with the new window management.

I don’t get it either.

Better Window handling has been one of their biggest selling points ever since Cubase 8 (probably before - I skipped C7). But it is just a mess IMO. How is this better?

Trying to “be a Mac” on PC is no good idea at all, and I do think they have to come up with a change/fix to this behaviour (again - I sense a big change on the horizon).

Steinberg cannot continue to use 3 years and 2 major releases to get their NEW and BIGGEST selling points to work properly (inc the window handling, the mixer hovering/focusing issues etc…).

The same counts for working with Workspaces:
when recalling a Workspace, Nuendo doesn’t focus the key- & mousecommands to it.

I can see that may be handy in a multi-display setup (which Nuage is), but in my system it’s quite annoying that I recall a Workspace from my MC Pro, and the following commands I put in from my MC Pro won’t work because I first have to click the respective window with my mouse.

Niek/ Amsterdam.

For me, at least, workspaces recall the focus on the window “on top” at the time they are created.

If I want to have immediate access to a particular window (and tool) in a workspace I make sure each is selected, and then update said workspace.

Maybe give that a try?

Chewy

Great tip, learning every day!
Thanks!

Niek/ Amsterdam.

…But unfortunately it didn’t work.

let’s say I have 2 Workspaces:
1 with the main window @ full screen (with the mouse&keyboard focused to this window)
1 with the mixer window @ full screen (with the mouse&keyboard focused to this window)

…when I switch between these 2 Workspaces, the mouse&keyboard-focus doesn’t update unfortunately, but stays with the “previous Workspace”…

Niek/ Amsterdam

The only thing I hate more about this issue right now is Steinberg’s complete lack of communication about it. Clearly this is an issue that concerns many users.

UPDATE Just checked; it is working here-- at least in my little test: changed the focus of my workspace from the project window to the channel settings window, updated, then brought the project window into focus. Called up the updated workspace, and focus switched to the channel settings window.

Of course, (not to change focus here :slight_smile: ) I am having workspace trouble of my own with the latest version being unable to remember channel window assignment. But that’s another thread.

Chewy

Since I work on a 21:9 monitor I have not experienced the full downsides of the new window handling
untill I worked on another 2screen bench. This is not an improvement. Any of the here mentioned
problems are ever so true. How can you do that to us??

And as far as the Nuendo Click Fest goes… after SB does not realise that labeling
gray in gray is not the brightest thing to do, I change back to my former avatar… >>>>>

Cheers, Big K

could you elaborate on what had not been possible before?

i only use two monitors, but don’t like the window handling of c8, so i am on 7.5, and haven’t come up with major issues regarding window handling (for my purposes anyway).

thank you.

I have this really odd thing that happens when I un-dock the project window from full screen mode running on Windows 7, 64bit. I completely lose the Aero windowing features and the menu items on the menu bar go invisible. If I hover over where they used to be labelled the drop-down menus appear.

In order to regain the Aero environment I have to log out of my user account and then log back in.

I have a ten-foot pole to lend if it helps anyone at Steinberg.

Another point of aggrivation, albeit a minor one, with these multiple windows is if you open an N7 file in N6.5, your work space is misaligned.

Hello?

It’s only been almost half a year. I’m sure Steinberg will chime in soon.

Please bump the feature-request-thread on window handling if you don’t like it.