New WL user, for very basic stuff, needs a bit of help

I’ve been recording and editing spoken word (voice-over) for 40+ years. Most recently, my DAW had been Adobe Audition. Switched to WaveLab Pro 9.5 yesterday. Spoken word work is pretty basic: they’re mono files, but they do require editing and what we in the trade call “cleaning” (removal of mouth clicks, reducing breaths, etc.), and there’s some basic dynamic processing. And we often record fairly lengthy narration for interactive applications and for videos, and those audio files have to be separated into regions, which are exported as separate files.

Thus far, I’ve managed to figure out how to create and export regions, but I’m having some trouble with more basic things. For now, those things are the customization of what will become my default workspace and getting the proper time display format.

The WL manual tells me it’s possible to do what I’m wanting to do, but I’m not able to find in WaveLab what the manual tells me to look for.

My Adobe Audition workspace consisted of a small window, upper-left, where any open files were listed. Under that was a window where all the regions in the working file were listed. Under that, a file browser. Those three vertically stacked windows were all, maybe, 25-33% of my total screen width. The rest of the screen width was taken up by (top to bottom) the waveform display, the spectogram display, the time display and the level display. I’m trying to duplicate that window configuration in WaveLab, but I can’t figure out how.

My other question at this time is: how do I get the time display to show hours, minutes, seconds and frames, rather than the milliseconds it is currently showing me in place of frames?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

My other question at this time is: how do I get the time display to show hours, minutes, seconds and frames, rather than the milliseconds it is currently showing me in place of frames?

The time format is the same as the one selected for the audio file. Hence right click in the audio file time ruler to select your desired format.

For the window layout function: do you know how to move and dock windows around? With this procedure, you should be able to build the layout of your choice.

Thank you, Philippe. Prior to seeing your reply, I figured out how to create my workspace (and I saved it as the default). Then, thanks to your reply, I finally found how to configure the time code options I wanted.

It seems the difference between Audition and WaveLab Pro, with regard to preferences, is that in Audition they are global, whereas in WaveLab, they seem to be applied on a case-by-case basis. At least, that’s how it appears to me as a new user.

Thanks again.