New Yamaha Steinberg USB Driver version 2.1.1 for Windows

We are pleased to announce the release of a new version of the Yamaha Steinberg USB driver for Windows.
The driver update solved a problem in which a blue screen was caused when using the AXR4U at 96khz or higher and some minor problems have been solved.
Please find the YSUSB Driver here

Best regards,
Stefan Schreiber

1 Like

I’m getting the “Cubase poofs away” when this new driver is installed in my UR28M.

The problem may not be the updated driver though, as I only found my way to it because while Cubase was running I inadvertently disconnected my Microsoft Surface from the USB hub that had my UR28M and USB e-licenser attached, which prevented me from running Cubase Pro 11 when the UR28M was selected as the audio device (problem still not resolved, but maybe that’s for another thread).

Unfortunately, I have a problem with this driver and UR22mkII. With 2.0.3 as well. Approximately every 5 minutes, the “USB” LED flashes and and sound break.

Windows 11Pro, AMD Ryzen 5 2600, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti

2 Likes

Only reinstalling Windows11 helped me.

it sucks bro… did you perform a full win 11 reinstall? like format all your drives for it to stop sound breaking?

Having issues with this driver - audio stopped working intermittently. Light on interface stays on. Reverted to 2.04 & everything fine again. (Win 10 64 3.4ghz 32 Gb ram. UR22Mkii)

2 Likes

ou I should have the previous at hand just in case, I was about to update… have a similar configuration with a UR28M

Hello, new driver 2.1.1 doesn’t work well, when i launch guitar pro or cubase driver had been stopped work. Windows 11 and ur12, revert to 2.0.4 Fix this issue in new driver.

Hello Stefan,

foa I like to thank you for your effort and work.

Right now I am setting up a new Win 11 Machine as my DAW, running Cubase Pro 12 - 12.0.20
attached to a Yamaha UR 22. I just used during the setup the newest available driver versions, so I installed the USB Driver 2.1.1 from Steinberg Website, expecting all running smooth on the new system.
But I had to realize after installing all Cubase Software, all third party Plug’s like NATIVE and EVENTIDE stuff, that the complete setup works not as expected on my “old” DAW Machine!

I expected the following behaviour in my sound enviroment:

1. I can start my Firefox und play a YouTube Video routed through my onboard Realtek Soundcard in combination with the provided Stereomix routed into my UR22 as Playback Device to take advantage of the Realtek EQ for this trunk of sound.
    Also it was possible to grab that YouTube Playback from the Realtek Stereomix and deliver it to my Wave-Editor for recording purposes.
  2. While doing this, it was NEVER a problem running all this above and then fire up Cubase, load a project and start the playback same time all mentioned above also playing back.
    At last I had 3 different Audio instances simultaneously running without problems.

With the new ASIO Driver Release 2.1.1 which I had installed I ran into BIG problems. Every time I had my Browser in YT playback mode and after that starting Cubase 12 the UR 22 Outputs got stucked and delivers no sound anymore. Even closing all Applications and restart won’t fix the Output of the UR 22 again. First I managed to do a full restart of Win 11 to get it to work again.

This behaviour drove me nearly insane, cause I expected the problem either in the updated Cubase 12.0.20 (Dolby Athmos) Update, or inside the new Realtek Audio on Board my new DAW Machine.
(f.y.i. the original installed Realtek Audio Console including Drivers won’t provide EQ no more, so there’s replacement of the actual driver’s also needed).

After hours of resignation and a complete new FULL INSTALL of Windows 11, hours of donwloading and installing the required Software the Problem still remains. The start of Cubase while other Applications running sound causes the Outputs of the UR 22 to crash.

I tried a different approach: Instead of rebooting the Machine I just deactivate and reactivate the UR 22 Outputs in the Sound Settings of Windows 11 - and surprise: All was working as expected, Cubase can play , YouTube can play and my Wave Editor could grab both signals simultaneously!
But this deactivate and activate procedure was the only solution and not acceptable.

So I had a brainstorm before I went to sleep and there was a thougth: Hey - your old DAW machine was running a older driver version for the UR 22 for sure. This morning I checked the version Numbers - and yes, the old one where all was running smothly used the 2.0.3 Version of the ASIO driver.

I downloaded the older Version, deinstalled the new 2.1.1 Version, reinstalled the 2.0.3 and BOOM - everything works as expected. It is now possible to open all audio sources and do a playback in different orders WITHOUT killing the UR 22 Out’s!

So I was expecting a new ASIO Driver would bring more than less features to my DAW, cause of crashing while opening multiple audio sources/instances the same time.

I spent day’s in hell of installing and reinstalling, optioning all possible options without any positive result. Only the fall back to the older ASIO Version 2.0.3 solved that problem.

My question is: Why is the new driver not capable to behave like the older (2.0.3) ones? Why is there no hint about this strange behaviour? It could have save me a lot of unneeded trouble get the new DAW Machine running and work in the expected way’s?

Thanks for your audience

Joshua - soonar_cw from CRONOWORKS

1 Like

I had the exact same problem described, re-installed 2.0.3 and had the original behaviour restored.

Not upgrading to newer drivers till this is fixed.

Your last drivers - peace of poop, you know?

1 Like

Hello gentlemen,

I found this thread via google search for the same reason, bad working 2.1.1 driver for UR22mkII on my Win10Pro x64 system running on Dell E5570 causes sound drops and LED blinks. BUT IMPORTANT, just rollback didn’t enough for my issue, so I ran great tool named LatencyMon and it tolds me, that there is some CPU throttling HW feature (and WiFi device, of course:)), which is better to be turned off (because it’s just stealing rescources needed for running audiostream), so I uninstalled few vendor (Dell+Intel+Realtek) unneeded SW, drivers and Windows features, and also kicked off SearchIndexer (one of the really working tips for easier life :smiley: bcs this sh…y beloved “helper” is just picking the best moment to start its “very important” job, typically when system is almost fully loaded and working, because you need to get something done…so my one and only attempt is to kill it, ban it, delete it, disable it - everytime it appears, everywhere I saw it. and to disable entire Windows Search service for something like forever:)) at first. Then I disabled almost all start-up trash (waves+realtek audio services also), stopped and disabled lot of always running, but never used services (like Hyper-V, Xbox, Store, AR and VR, support, next HW vendors ballast, and upper noticed W. Search), then I restarted PC to BIOS and turned off HW virtualization, and finally, I disabled two most suspicious Intel features named “C-states control” and “TurboBoost”, well known to everyone:).
After boot to Windows again without any crash or something (and with dear UR turned off) I installed our mighty driver v2.0.4, switched it on and guess what, it works! The true is that I played some music just for few minutes, but without any drop od blink of LED, so I guess I got it.

So next time (if any, haha:)) you don’t have to reinstall and set up whole OS from scratch for issues like this, because Windows imho+afaik tends to be slower and bigger (and die in blue, sooner or later), if you leave it to do its job and hope for the best:D It’s always better to customize it (slightly or heavily, it’s up to you) properly for your own usecase, to maintenance system and storage time-to-time (monthly at least), to back all your important data like projects, your copies of purchased SW with licences, collected material and instruments, all related documentation and manuals and whatever you think you (will) need to, up to multiple places.
I’m trying to hold the rule of three: first copy is the one which I work on/with, second copy is mirrored (more or less online) to cloud storage, accesible from everywhere (so-called live copy), and third copy is updated time-to-time to 3,5" HDD, which I’m keeping in some safe space like drawer at home, out of the PC, offline, packed in antistatic bag at least (humidity and shock protection are good choice too) and updated time-to-time in pretty large batches with everything else (so-called dead copy). Another good decision is to make the backup clone of entire system to some ext. media in the moment, when you finished the new installation of OS and all SW with all registrations, settings, plugins, cusomizations etc., it’s always easier to return to this point, it’s just ready, and Windows can do this :slight_smile: And definitely, if any issue appears, to use proper tools (built-in-system too) and ways to get info, which helps you to find and choose right solution, then you can decide wisely, what is the effective way. Because simply, we don’t have time enough to reinstall Windows each year :smiley:

We have one nice rule here, says: “If it works, don’t fix it.” Sometimes I tend to forget it, then usually finding myself in the middle of battle with my own conviction about the smart myself :smiley:

P.S.:anw this wasn’t my 1st experience with this behavior. I had similar issues with similar setup before…

1 Like

I can confirm that this version (YSUSB 2.1.1.) is far from excellence. I have an issue I never had with UR-242. If I’m listening something in browser or VLC player, for example a tutorial, and start Cubase (any version), it makes any playing instance silent as if device is present, but busy. I switch off my UR-242 while Cubase is running and then switch back on, and then playing app can be restarted and playing as usual. This is annoying and also previous driver versions are not available on Yamaha site. So I’m going to my own archive for 1.x.x. versions.

EDIT: I tried version 2.0.3 and it seems it works well and don’t shut down soundcard.

2 Likes

Same problem - I have UR816C

Cool so my Steinberg Ur22Mk2 is currently a paperweight, shame I don’t use paper any more. When/are we getting a driver update for Windows 11 based systems?

• If I leave the device un-recognised it has no usb dropout but then it has datastream issues and emits a screeching nosie.
  • Rollback to windows 10 doesn’t work, tried every configuration of firmware and driver, doesn’t work.
  • Working configuration settings were unable to be transferred across to windows 11 from windows 10
  • Disabled and re-enabled every possible combination of processes that interact with the driver to no avail.
    Also Arthur is right. There is a combination that works semi-flawlessly, I know it’s technically on the website somewhere (or it was when I recieved the link) but you need a direct link to it. Someone once sent it to me a long time ago and I don’t remember which version it was nor do I know where that link is.

System
R5 5500 (desktop)
B550mb
Nvme m.2
UEFI

Utilization when fault occurs - under 2% load overall

Also a problem for me…

Windows 11
i7 12700
32GB
3060ti GPU

I am getting constant dropouts. My audio pipeline is: Dell 8950/Win 11>Yamaha Steinberg driver>USB out>USB in on Yamaha S-A801 DAC/Amp. This hardware and software from the USB on downstream has been perfect for 9 months now. The move to Windows 11 on a new desktop has introduced this issue.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I’m using 2.0.3. Tried later versions but get regular crashes. Sticking with this version because it works great for me! CB 12.04 Windows 10.
UR22C

in 2.1.3 version driver still stopped worked after start any asio application if buffer size lower 512 samples. Revert again to 2.0.4 (ur12)

1 Like

Really?! How annoying. Was really hoping 2.1.3 would solve problems like this!
Maybe there are issues with it. It’s odd that it is now there on the download page, but there has been no formal announcement of it here in the forums.