New Yamaha Steinberg USB Driver version 2.1.3 for Windows

I’m also getting the random artifacts and audio drop-outs during normal use as well.

It sucks, because I would feel bad selling my interface to someone knowing it does not work with the current drivers. But I’d also like to finally move on to an audio interface of a different brand that does work. My steinberg UR22 has had too many driver issues.

UR22/win11/v2.1.3

I gave up and got a simple Focusrite Solo. I’ll pair it with a vocal reverb pedal, and it’ll serve my purposes with no muss and fuss.

Wake me up when Yamaha/Steinberg gets their act together with better instructions than “wipe your machine clean and then install a 3 year old driver that doesn’t really work”.

1 Like

Right.
Trying to work with Cubase, and recording a Midi performance with several orchestral libraries loaded at the same time - and don’t tell me I should disable them, because it was working fine before.
A lot of dropouts that it starts to be unbearable to work with.
It’s been 5 days since my last message. 23 days since my first complaint.
Haven’t heard a single “we’re working on it, please be patient” kind of message. That, or to know, with all your wisdom, how on earth are you able to use this 2.1.3 Windows drivers on any of the interfaces you claim that it works without any issue.

To resume my complaints since moving to Windows 11:
2.1.3. Doesn’t work, freezes Cubase to the point I need to get to task manager to shut it down.
2.1.1. No sound from external programs once Cubase loads
2.0.4. Works with unusual dropouts, and it seems not official supported by Windows 11. It’s impossible to record anything with the amount of random dropouts.

Right now, the beautiful hardware integration of a Steinberg unit starts to feel quite secondary. I just want something I can work without relying on lady luck to avoid some dropout.

This will be my last message, until:

1. You bring new drivers up;
  2. I get another audio interface.

I still have hope that the first option gets here sooner than the second. If not, I’ll gladly post the reference of the interface I got to solve a Steinberg/Yamaha issue.

3 Likes

Sadly, it will likely be quicker to get another audio device than to receive working drivers at this point.

1 Like

I too suffer this problem of no audio (and like Youtube or any audio program cannot work) after Win11 had gone to sleep. Had to restart Windows to get back to work.

I tried today, to Stop and Start Windows Audio (under Services), and it seem to work without requiring a Windows restart.

In Windows 11, type Services in the Search area on the Task Bar. Scroll down and look for Windows Audio in Services window. Double-click to open the Properties page, click Stop, and then “Start”. That’s it.

Was toying with getting another audio interface but now will continue to work this way under a proper fix arrives.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Raymond

1 Like

This is the best driver made before global vaccination.
It works perfectly on Win10 and Win11.
(How many of Yamaha driver developers were vaccinated? It’s a funny question, but I’m not the only one who has noticed changes in people.)

It only works for me by disabling XHCI in the UEFI of a Gigabyte X99 build, W11. So no USB 3.0 for me.

There are some more options to consider here. Many of the reported issues might be related to the USB connectivity. If you are an AMD Ryzen user, please have a closer look at this article:

AMD Suggests Possible Fixes for Ryzen USB Connectivity Issues | Tom’s Hardware (tomshardware.com)

As mentioned in the article, it is essential to have the latest chipset drivers and BIOS/UEFI installed.
AMD Drivers and Support | AMD

In support, we have had a noticeable amount of performance related (dropouts) inquiries that could be addressed with the above-mentioned updates.

Then there are crashes and freezes that are actually related to a MIDI issue on the operating system side. This has been described in here:
MIDI device app hangs when using MIDI API - Application Developer | Microsoft Learn

Cubase 12 introduced support for WinRT MIDI, but this is not the default setting in Cubase.
If available, please give it another try using WinRT MIDI as this might address at least some of the crashes and freezes reported.

Please note that while WinRT MIDI offers some advantages, it also comes with some disadvantages. Those are described in this article:
WinRT MIDI and Windows Bluetooth MIDI support in Cubase 12 – Steinberg Support

4 Likes

Thank you very much for your help!

Sorry I forgot to mention my PC was AMD previously. That probably would have helped troubleshooting it better.

Still early to call it solved, but I enabled the WinRT MIDI with 2.1.3 drivers, and so far, everything’s working as it should!

The Windows audio keeps playing when Cubase starts or loads a project file.
No Cubase session is freezing to the point it needs to be shut with the Task Manager or by rebooting.

There’s still an occasional drop glitch now and then that I can’t remember happening with Windows 10, but as it is, it’s functional enough on Windows 11.

I’ll keep testing it for some days and will come back with my results.

Once again, thank you!

1 Like

That is good news indeed, @Guin ! Thanks for letting us know.

@Ed_Doll , considering that previously the 2.1.3 freezing issues were happening from the second Cubase session and forward, and considering that those issues didn’t happen a single time, after opening Cubase several times, creating new project files, opening large (and old) project files, and never having a single freezee, I’d say that the solution you mentioned solved it.

It probably would be good if Steinberg could add the information on the download section, warning about the need to enable WinRT MIDI before opening a session. Don’t know if it’s an AMD only issue, though, don’t have an Intel system to check it out - it would be good if an Intel user could test out that too.

Anyway, it’s good to know I’ll keep using the UR824’s nice integration on Cubase. Now I’ll just need to find the optimal settings to minimize (or make disappear) some random audio glitches that still show up, mostly on larger templates.

Thank you again!

1 Like

@Guin.

O.K, so tried ‘WinRT MIDI’ on an Intel system.

What I was experiencing before, and with SYUSB drivers’ v2.1.3 and v2.0.3, was the well known audio dropouts, glitching to the point of severe crackling and hissing, with jittery playback, and using any other audio applications would inherit the same, apart from the crackling and hissing.

I reset my UEFI, uninstalled driver v2.0.3 and installed v2.1.3, ran a small project in CB12, totally unusable.

Went to MIDI Port Setup and changed the “Use System Timestamp for ‘Windows MIDI’ inputs” to "Use Device ‘WinRT MIDI’, same results, unusable. Closed Cubase and restarted the PC, back into Cubase, just not having it, it was a complete no go. Also other audio applications were playing up too.

I left driver v2.1.3 installed instead of replacing it with v2.0.3 as I previously did.

Restarted the PC, went back into the UEFI and changed the XHCI Mode back to manual as apposed to the default of AUTO, back in Windows, opened Cubase and everything was fine again.

Before learning about the XHCI workaround, I thought it was a conflict with the NVIDIA Graphics Driver, because as soon as I uninstalled it and used Microsoft Generic Driver, Cubase and all other audio applications worked perfectly. I ran this test several times, getting the same results, so I was convinced, that this was the issue,but no. It was that XHCI in the UEFI.

I’ve reinstalled the NVIDIA Driver, and Cubase and Co, are working perfectly.

GA X99 ULTRA GAMING
Intel i7 6950X
EVGA GeForce 980ti

Update:

Hmmm, so I moved the PC and the UR824, to a new location. Fired up Cubase 12 and all the problems have reappeared!!!.

I am using the identical setup with the UR connected to the same USB 2.0 port as before it was moved. Tried all 6 USB 2.0 ports to no avail.

The PC has had Microsoft updates’, but, Cubase had run perfectly fine for the following three days’ before I relocated the PC.

Changing XHCI mode in the UEFI from AUTO to Manual, no longer fixes the Issue.

YSUSB Drivers’ 2.0.3, 2.1.3, and 2.1.4 have all been tested on the system, inheriting the identical problematic performance’.

Continuous rapid movement of the mouse over Cubases U.I, increases the amount of interruption, but also, at spontaneous moments, it may stop glitching until more movement of the mouse is made.

What does continue to fix the issue though, is using the Microsoft Generic Display Driver as apposed to the official NVIDIA Display Driver, as mentioned in my previous post.

The draw back for me, is that the Microsoft Generic Display Driver, has limited support and does not incorporate multiple monitor support, it can only identify one monitor from a quad, triple or dual monitor setup.

So for now, I’m back to Microsofts Generic Display Driver and only one monitor, using the YSUSB Driver, v2.1.4, since they all have the same issues on my system, while the issues disappear when using the generic display driver.

Completely baffling to say the least.

Update 2

Sorry guys, but I gotta laugh.

I have no idea what’s going on with the YSUSB Drivers’. I had to reinstall the NVIDIA Driver, because IK’s Sampletank 4 could not open in Cubase, or in Standalone with Microsofts generic display driver. Attempting to open ST4 in Cubase, would immediately shut down CB with no indication of an error, and in standalone.

I then decided to change the USB 2.0 connection to a USB 3.0 port, and now it seems to be working fine again, even though the USB 3.0 ports’ are where the issues’ started in the beginning, while I was advised to use a USB 2 port, two years ago.

So for now, once again, driver v2.1.4 seems to be working in a stable manner for the past two days’.

So what’s the fix? I have no idea.

2 Likes

2.1.4 driver still had stopped worked after open cubase\guitar pro etc apps?

Yeah, 2.1.4 driver did nothing for me when I revisited this issue.

Back to Focusrite for me until the next driver.

I have updated my BIOS and AMD chipset drivers. I also updated to the new 2.1.4 drivers. The issues still persist. Every time I wake my PC from sleep, all audio is broken. Videos get stuck after 1 frame, unless I mute them. I have to restart the audio process in Windows every time.

It’s ridiculous that there is still no fix. Am I missing something?

1 Like

@sdj No you are not. Same thing here. It is a shame…

One little thing here for people to play with in the driver: after starting the driver gui, press ctrl+shift+a and go to the developer menu of the driver. You will find two checkboxes for “usb3 continuous” and “overload detection”. These do not fix it for me either though. Sad sad story.

Supposedly 2.1.5 fixes it…they say :wink: I remain sceptical, I say :wink:

1 Like

There is new driver released today, in release note said that they fixed issue. Anyone test it?

@apan65 Yeah, testing right now. Seems to work as to no longer having to restart the audio service each resume. Artifacts and hanging still present now and then when hdds spin up…sigh.

Just tried 2.1.5 on my UR824, with an orchestral template.
Before I was noticing some glitches here and there before, and were a bit awkward because task manager was showing that the CPU wasn’t going above 80% of full load (Ryzen 3700x), and still these kept showing.
Afterwards, with 2.1.5 drivers, it even became worst. Same ASIO configuration as before, now on the busier parts it goes from glitchy to no sound at all. I’d say that 2.1.5 was a step back, and am now waiting for the 2.1.6 as soon as possible.

Don’t think they’ve worked on the driver stability issues at all, judging by the release note’s.

Release Note’s :
V2.1.4 to V2.1.5 - Fixed again a problem in which launching an application that uses ASIO or changing driver settings while audio is playing in an application that uses WDM would stop playback in the application that uses WDM.