Newbe Question - Installing 12 for the first time

I am an old PC guy (old in years too)

The vendor i am dealing with wants over $1,000 to install and setup Nuendo Studio 12. Is this something i can do my self or will I be tearing what little hair I have left out.

Also for the MAC Studio should i get as much RAM as it holds?

Thank you all for your help?

I looked over the 12 manual last night and wow! Looks incredible

You can install it yourself.
The setup afterwards might take some time, but there are many here who can help you, no charge.

That 1K, is only for labor? Oh boy…

Not sure how much money you make if you’re working, but let’s pretend you’re making $50/hr: You’d be looking at the equivalent of 20 hrs of work just to install a piece of software. It makes no sense to me.

All you have to do is do the right things in the right order. If you need help post here and I’m sure people will do their best to get you going.

Yeah I freaked. I can use all the help I can get as what I want to do is honorable.

I was influential in Dolby surround sound in the 70s, supervised the mix on some important films. Looking forward to playing with Atmos.

Thank you for the encouragement and offer…Steve

Stick with PC, don’t get a Mac! :smiley:

Seriously though as far as installation goes it really is as simple as it gets: You get the Steinberg Download assistant, log in, and tell it to install Nuendo. That’s it. It is not a complex install. All the additional content is similar, just tell the downloader to do it.

After that it is all configuring your environment. Maybe that’s what he was offering to do, but I’d argue you probably should do that yourself so you understand how it is set up and you set it up how you want.

For RAM it depends on how big of a project you make. RAM is one of those things where if you don’t have enough, it kills performance, but once you do have enough more doesn’t help. I’d get at least 64GB to be safe. If you go the Apple route, more is probably better since I don’t know how easy they make it to add more later or if it is even possible, some of their systems have RAM soldered on the board.

As for Mac/PC I would note that Nuendo works great on PCs. If you have other reasons why you wish to use a Mac it works well there too, but there is no need to run it on a Mac if you like PCs, and of course you tend to get more hardware for less dollars there.

Trust me i am sick over going MAC but the time has come. My old company, Eventide is giving me all their plug-ins (excited) and they are most happy on MAC here is what Vintage Kings spec-ed for me: (I have no idea what it means)

Apple Mac Studio M1 Max chip with 10core CPU and 24core GPU, 512GB SSD Apple M1 Max with 10-core CPU, 24-core GPU, 16-core Neural Engine
32GB unified memory
512GB SSD storage
Front: Two USB-C ports, one SDXC card slot
Back: Four Thunderbolt 4 ports, two USB-A ports, one HDMI port, one 10Gb Ethernet port, one 3.5 mm audio jackSPECIAL ORDER
1 Apple Mac Studio Upgrade 64GB Unified Memory for MJMV3LL/A Apple Mac Studio Upgrade 64GB Unified Memory for

1 Apple Mac Studio Upgrade 1TB SSD Storage for MJMV3LL/A
Apple Mac Studio Upgrade 1TB SSD Storage for MJMV3LL/ASPECIAL ORDER
1 Apple USB-C Digital AV Multiport Adapter
USB-C Digital AV Multiport Adapter

1 Like

PS this forum is great I look forward to sharing what i come up with - I am working on upmixing 2ch and 5.1 to my system 9.1.4. …s

Looks like a decent system overall. Probably should do well. The only two issues I’d note:

1. It looks like it has either 1x or more likely 2x 1TB SSDs. That’ll do nicely, unless you use a lot of big VIs. In that case, you’ll need to add on some external storage. You also may want external storage just to back up sessions to. 1TB is a lot but can go pretty fast with enough tracks. External SSDs on USB3 or thunderbolt can be almost as fast as in the system itself and work well for audio. I still prefer internal drives, but 2 is all you get with an M1 Studio.

2. It has 64GB which should be fine, again unless you run a really large projects. It does look like Apple doesn’t allow upgrades of the Studio M1 so if it isn’t enough, you are kinda stuck since you can’t add external RAM.

Should work fine for you, I would think. Just be aware that if you hit limitations of the system, you may have to completely replace it as an upgrade is likely not an option.

With regards to the Eventide plugins I can’t speak to most of them since I don’t own them, but Ultrachannel is quite happy on my Windows system.

Hi Sy - My track count will be mostly 14 as I will be doing live 9.1.4 processing. Also feeding the Mac system is a full PT HD/TDM system running on a HP XP. I am buying the Nuendo to run my Eventides and play and render Dolby Atmos. I really appreciate you taking your time to look over this. I think back to my Star Wars days when a mono track was played back on a machine the size of a refrigerator!

It amazes and pleases me what creative people get to work with today. I did the sound effects for the film Altered States where most of my effects were recorded on a portable cassette machine :slight_smile:

I can’t wait to play with Nuendo…steve

Should work well then. 64GB will be more than plenty. You need a lot of audio before RAM becomes an issue. Normally only VIs cause issues with need tons of RAM.

Just a low res vid to dub to - thanks …s