Newbie - Busses issue + save location

Hello,
I just switched to Cubase 6.5 after demo’ing the “elements” version (as I did not have a USB eLicenser at the time). I have now run into some issues I hope someone will be able aid me with.

1. Busses
    When I add a output bus (wanting to be able to hot-swap audio between monitors and headphones) I lose all audio. My Fireface Mixer (using a FF400) shows me no signals are getting through.
    It then seems as no matter what I do with the settings (remove the second bus, switch which is main, etc) audio won’t return.
    The only way I’m able to get audio back is by re-opening the project or restarting Cubase.
    What am I doing wrong here?

2. Busses Part 2
    Is there a way to set default busses? At the moment I have to select a preset in every new project or make changes manually.

3. Save Location
    From what I’ve read online there is no way to change the default save location for new projects (I know about “backup” and “prompt”). Is this still the case in 6.5?

Thanks.

Apart from that you should look into RME Totalmix or the Cubase control room for what you are trying to do, I’ m not sure what exactly you are doing, but it sounds like you’ re disabling or changing the standard output bus, which will diconnect any track output and set it to " no bus"

I think that’ s what I’ m talking about

Save the project with the desired busses as tmplate…?!

So now what exactly is the question?
You can set the default save location for new projects in the project assistant, or you can set it to prompt for each new project, as you said…

Thanks for your reply. :slight_smile:

Ah I see, thanks. I tested it a bit and it sets them to “No Bus” when removing the active bus, not when simply changing the Main Mix. Also it seems I have to reroute all the mixer tracks to use another bus? So what does setting “Main Mix” do? I thought that would route everything to that bus.

Save the project with the desired busses as tmplate…?!

Duh. Thanks. :unamused:

So now what exactly is the question?
You can set the default save location for new projects in the project assistant, or you can set it to prompt for each new project, as you said…

My question is if you can change the default location or not. Afaik from googling it seems this is not possible, at least not for previous versions. I was looking to verify this and make sure whether or not it’s possible in the current version as it would be a very convenient feature.

As mentioned in the manual, the main mix bus is the standard bus, any new track / channel created in the project is routed to.

Sure you can. As said already you can define the default custom save folder in the project assistant. You can do that in C5 already.

I see. I assumed it would apply retroactively as well. Apparently it does not.

Sure you can. As said already you can define the default custom save folder in the project assistant. You can do that in C5 already.

You’re right! It was as simple as clicking the location. I was going mad browsing the preferences where I’m used to seeing settings like that.

Thanks and sorry about the stupid questions.

For feeding multiple sets of monitors you could simply…

1. use a group channel instead of an output bus as ‘submaster’ (you have to assign your tracks to it manually though)
  2. create as many output channels as you need (up to 8)
  3. feed those output channels with the sends of your ‘submaster’

Save the output busses withing F4/VST connections as preset. Save your ‘submaster’ as channel preset (more complex settings can be saved as track archive too which doesn’t include output busses though).

For new projects an equivalent template is cool as already stated by ArmTenSons.

Edit: a more elegant way…
In Control Room you can also setup up to 4 monitors. You can flip through them in the control room mixer (be sure to see the right side of CR mixer with the downmix presets + monitor buttons). Just connect each pair of monitors to their correct outputs of the Fireface in VST connections and set them to 0.00 in Total Mix.
Save that Control Room setup as a preset to make it available in older projects easily.