Newbie formatting questions

I am new to Dorico and especially formatting/engraving options. Several questions. I am referring to the “First steps” tutorial “Page Templates and Tokens” and “Hiding the flow Eading”.

Question1
On the first page, which token is responsible for “A Different Spring”? The Project heading or the Flow heading? Since Project and Flow are the same, I do not know. To find out, I tried double-clicking (engrave mode) in the frame area as the instruction suggest… but neither double-clicking nor return-clicking on the “edge” (whatever that is???) display the token name.

2.To elaborate, the instructions say :
“If you enter the top text frame on page 1, by either double-clicking it or selecting the edge and pressing Return, the token that populates with the project title is shown:”

However, if I go into engrave mode and do this, absolutely nothing happens. How do I see the token?

3.In the instruction “Hiding the Flow Heading” I went into “Layout Options”. I noticed that “show Flow Headings” is currently set “For all Flows”. Yet, there is only a single title on the first page, not a Project Title and a Flow title.

That is “good” but I do not know what I did, or why one of the titles is missing.

1. If possible I would love to get simple step-by-step instructions as to how to set up pages with only 1 title (the “flow” title) on every page.

2. If there is a simpler explanation for ppage formatting than “First steps” can someone point me to it?
    2023-12-27 11-19-13_Different Spring Frag.dorico (1.9 MB)

In Engrave mode, open the First page template on the right panel by double-clicking it. That will show you what tokens are being used, and where the invisible frames are.

1 Like

Sincere thanks. Any further answers to question 1-5 above would also be super helpful.

1. Make sure you have the frame tool selected.

1. You can hide flow headings, yes, but what will show on the page depends on your page template.

2. Open your page template for the First page. Double click and select the entire token for {@projectTitle@} and replace it by right-clicking in the text box and selecting Flow Title:

Do this on the template, not on the score itself, or you’ll get a page override:

…which is not verboten, just not “proper” and may cause issues later.

1 Like
  1. Better to ask questions as they arise, here.
1 Like

PS: I made some changes to your file, here.
2023-12-27 11-19-13_Different Spring MOD.dorico (1.2 MB)

Mostly just a few formatting things. Increased the spacing between treble and bass staves, modified the first page template, fixed the tempo indication.

I hid the chord symbols and pedal marks, but of course you may not want that.

In the attached Dorico project (start of thread) can someone tell me why Ido not see both the Project title and the Flow title on page 1? I do not know what I did to remove it (even though I am glad it is gone). Also, when I open Engrave mode and double click within the green frames, can someone tell me why I do not see the token name, (for instance @projectTitle@ ) as “promised” in the instructions, only the text stored by the token (i.e. title)?

For the second question: because you edited it in the score directly, creating a page override, as I mentioned above.

I set Flow Headers to never show in Layout Options. But I also removed your page override.

I appreciate the input but I am so far away from the “fisrt steps” lesson that I am lost. Here are two screen shots, attempting to get to the header tokens. Again, My first question is, if possible, how do I find my way back to a display of both “Project Title” and “flow Title” on the same page. Again, my Dorico file is at the beginning of this thread. Also…If I am understanding that somehow I have overridden a page template, would you please describe, in a simple step-by-step manner, how to remove the override?

In engrave mode, look at the panel in the top right corner. If a page has a red triangle, right click on it and remove the override.

To get the flow header back, Layout Options—Page Setup—Flows, show flow headers.

1 Like

Thank you. I just asked ChatGPT and it said to right-click the page thumbnail and access the menu. First it did not work, but then it did. I now see the Project title and the Flow title. I am still seeking a simple introduction to formatting. I went through the entire “first steps” tutorial a while back (Waltz and blues piece) and I am trying (and failing) to retrace my steps.

PS I am afraid to download Dan’s changes because I may get lost further and don’t have enough skill to “A-B” the two files.

For what it’s worth, page layout is definitely the most complicated part of this software. Persevere and you will find it pays off.

You can download my file and open it, no harm done. You don’t need to save it or worry about overwriting anything.

1 Like

Here are a few simple principles to guide you, @Manny_Mendelson:

1. Whenever possible, make a layout change to the page template, not the score itself. That avoids overrides.
  2. Use tokens to automate putting info on the page. You don’t really need to do this if you’re working on a project that is unique, but it’s good to get into the habit of using tokens when possible. Tokens will pull their information mostly from the project info dialogue, which you can view by pressing Ctrl-I (Cmd on Mac).
  3. When you find yourself making a small, local change to anything, first investigate if there is a global, automated way to change it.
1 Like

Awesome, Dan. Will copy and paste into my OneNote. Thank-you. So…If I move the metronome marker around in Engrave Mode, or move the “rit------” marking around…does that change the page template?

No, none of those sorts of edits cause overrides or change the template in any way.

The template only pertains to the location, size, and contents of text and music frames (and graphics frames too, if you ever use those).

1 Like

Awesome. After I removed the override, the tokens (rather than my mis-entered title), appeared when I double-clicked. Again, thank-you.

I’d advice you to look at these tutorials:

Pages in engrave mode can be generally confusing at first.

1 Like

No need to Ask Jeeves: the OG source information says exactly the same thing without the risk of algorithmic hallucination*

*another user asked an AI chatbot a Dorico question, and was guided towards a property that doesn’t exist. Very “helpful”.

1 Like

Well, perhaps until one gets to Expression Maps. :laughing:

5 Likes