Newbie. Help with 3rd party plugins storage?

Hi all. Not sure if im posting in the right section.

Im running Cubase 12 artist edition and ive had an additional hard drive added for when i want to install more vsts, well i would now like to add the bbc spitfire audio to my pc and im wondering if i store it on the second hard drive will cubase find it because all the vsts that came with cubase are on C drive. Im worried that cubase will be looking in two locations for vsts and this will cause problems?

Thanks in advance.

I assume you are working on Windows as you mentioned the C drive.

VST3 plugins will always be stored in
C:\Program Files\Common Files\VST3

However, that is just the relatively small plugin file itself. The sound libraries of your Spitfire plugin can be installed on any drive. This should be doable through the plugin’s installer, it is nothing Cubase will get involved in.

I have all sound libraries of plugins installed on a D drive.

Yes, depending on the size/speed of your storage devices, a common practice is to install the VST executable/DLL files on the boot/application drive in the default folders, and if that VST has a large sample library, then install those big files on a second drive. Some people like to keep project files on yet another, third device, etc… This has been my standard config for years. Most VSTs and DAWs easily allow that configuration, it’s very common, and it’s a smart configuration to spread the load among your storage devices.

However, TBH, with the advent of extremely fast and large NVMe drives, this is becoming less important in my experience, not to mention that some people only have one drive, especially if they only use laptops. The good news is that with the performance of large and fast recent NVMe drives, you can install everything on the primary drive if you have to. The access time and bandwidth are more than adequate for even complex, demanding projects for many people. A single top-quality NVMe drive today vastly eclipses the best SATA SSDs in terms of overall bandwidth and IOPs.

In all cases, backups are your best friend, though! Back up often and completely, be religious about it, and you’ll be fine if/when disaster strikes.