Newbie - Patch number mystery between controller and VST

Hi,

I’ve noticed that the patch numbers displayed on the midi controller are not the same as the ones on the VST instrument.

eg., If I select Bank 2 and Program Two - the VST will select Bank 3 and Program 3.

If I select Bank 5 the bank will not change, but, the program will but with the same problem as above i.e., one
increment higher than expected.

I am using Reaktor 5, with Cubase Artist 6 and an Akai MPK88 and am a total newbie.

Any help would be appreciated - thanks for reading.

Regards,
Spencer.

Could be the way cubase and your controller count!

In hex FF=255(Dec) that’s 256 different patches including 0 so if your controller starts at 0 but cubase starts at 1 then they will always be one out.

Hi Split,

Thanks for the reply.

I hadn’t noticed that the program numbers started at 1 as opposed to 0. So that’s a good point :slight_smile:

However, wouldn’t that only apply if the controller was sending incremental information? I believe that MIDI uses actual numbers to select a program.

Anyway, it’s a bit of a pain but I suppose I’ll get used to it. I’m hardly a power user :slight_smile:

It seems odd that NI would choose to use program numbers that are different to standard MIDI - don’t you think?

Thanks again for getting back to me.

Cheers,
Spencer.

Midi uses binary.

I think it’s Cubase thats out of whack with the rest of the universe when using 0 for patch 1.