Newbie question about licensing and USB sticks

I just received a Beyerdynamics Creator Bundle which included a license code for Cubase LE9. Somewhat baffled by your licensing/activation/soft e-licenser/USB licenser etc., I’ve got a few questions:

  1. I don’t see LE9 available anymore. Can I use my code for LE10?
  2. I am hoping to use the software on both my office desktop and my travel laptop. Is that possible with the license code I received?
  3. If not, I assume I can install the license on a USB stick and use that on whichever machine I am using presently? Is that correct?
  4. If so, does this have to be a Steinberg provided USB stick, or will any one do?
  5. Does the software have to be installed on the USB stick also?
  6. Lastly, I haven’t downloaded anything yet, for fear it would lock me into that machine. How would you suggest I proceed.

Thanks for helping me get started.

Hi and welcome,

  1. Once you will activate and register your license, the Cubase download file will appear in your MySteinberg account. You can download Cubase 9 then.

  2. The license is stored on the Soft-eLicenser. If you want to transfer the license to a new computer, you have to Reactivate. If you want to use it on 2 (or more) computers, buy the USB-eLicenser and transfer the license to the USB-eLicenser. Where is the USB-eLicenser plugged to, you can start Cubase. Be aware you can’t transfer the license back from the USB-eLicenser to the Soft-eLicenser.

  3. Yes.

  4. This has to be Steinberg USB-eLicenser (it’s not a common USB stick).

  5. No, the software is installed on your computer on the system disk ©.

  6. Download the license, install Cubase to the 1st computer. Order USB-eLicenser (if necessary). Once it arrives, transfer the license to the USB-eLicenser and install Cubase to the other computer.

  • The license for CB LE versions are stored on the computer called a Soft e-License (SeL). SeL products will only work on the computer that has the SeL. Meaning… one computer only.
  • But… you can purchase a USB e-License dongle and move the license stored in the SeL to the USB e-License dongle. Then you can use your CB on the computer that has the USB dongle connected to it.
  • The USB e-License is not like a USB drive. It does not store the Cubase software. Just the license.
  • You would install the CB LE software on the other computer and then plug in the USB e-License dongle to allow it to work.

The Steinberg USB e-License dongle can be purchased from the online Steinberg shop or from other retailers that sell them.

Bottom line…
Install and activate your CB LE on the computer you want to use it on. Then purchase a USB e-License dongle and move the license to it (BTW… you can’t move the license back to a SeL). Once that is set, install CB LE on the 2nd computer and plug in the USB dongle to use it.

Some info about the USB eLicense dongle:

Have fun :wink:

Regards :sunglasses:


I’m not so sure about this one. I don’t know the exact rules here, but I expect, it depends on the contract of the 3rd party vendor with Steinberg. But as far as I know, for example if you buy a Lexicon, you will still get Cubase LE 4 or LE 5 without an option of Grace Period. So I don’t know, how it is with Beyerdynamics.

Thanks very much.

Thank you - much appreciated.