Newbie question: several sample rates in 1 project?

I prefer using the Crystal plugin rather than changing the sample freq of my system. Of course I can change the sample freq’s of my hardware (RME om my mobile rig, MetricHalo on my studio-rig) but my entire “studio” is locked to a central 48KHz-clock.
In order to preview a client’s 44.1KHz file in Wavelab I think it’s not a brilliant (crystal?) idea to change my entire studio to 44.1KHz…I agree on that putting a SRC like the Crystal in the monitoring-chain is a very deliberate working method, certainly if you take into account that -in terms of mastering- one wants to keep an eye on “what’s happening behind your back”…

Niek/ AMsterdam

I’m with the crowd: I never want automagic unbidden processing going on in any Montage or file space. I’d rather it sound wrong, until I make it sound right! :wink:

That said, I STRONGLY request an architectural change to support multiple sample rates on multi-core machines via the Montage. If you could let us drop/run Crystal in the “Tracks” section, we could segregate files at different sample rates by track - all 96K on one track, 48K on another, 44.1 on another and so on, until you’re out of DSP. Obviously multiple instances of “master” effects like Crystal and Limiter will devour cpu and limit it’s benefit for most users. But the shift would give WL 9 a competitive feature others lack, and current users would clearly appreciate.

Why spending CPU all the time, while SRC can be done once and cached? (what WaveLab already does).

I’d welcome Daved’s suggestion, to enable the plugin elsewhere.

Sorry, but I’m still a little confused about the video mentioned in Niek’s first post. Does anyone have a link to that video? I couldn’t find anything about sample rate at 3:00 in the Steinberg Youtube video of similar name:

But isn’t that what iTunes (and other media players) are doing when playing a 384KHz WAV file through notebook speakers? Realtime digital SRC to get it down to a sampling rate the hardware can play?

To take Niek’s point, maybe monitor (only) should allow any file. Maybe all programs will do that in 5 years.

Seems there’s so much SRC going on behind our backs anyway (Digital SRC upsampling in every D to A converter for every playback. Digital SRC downsampling in every A to D converter for every recording). Does anybody worry or think about those conversions?

Yes, that what iTunes does. On a single file. But with what SRC quality?
And the purpose of iTunes is not the one of WaveLab.
Computers powers stagnates for years now. Every trick we find to save CPU consumption is always good.