Newbie tried advice on the forum but still stuck

Hello - Newbie here, first post.
I have two issues, hope you are able to help. I have managed to record two tracks on a Zoom Hn4 Pro. One used the device mics and the other was a direct in prerecorded backing track. I can hear them on the device. Saved them to an SD card and imported them into Cubase. Hoping to mix them. on my lap top - Dell Inspiron 15, 5000 series, i7 chip. My sound card, see screen shots attached, came with the laptop, which I bought from new three years ago.

I have failed to solve one issue and created one myself :unamused:

1. I cannot hear anything when I press play, although I saw levels and the tracks moving. I have tried the solutions indicated on other threads here but not resolved the issue.
  2. Now, when I press play, it doesn’t move/play. It may be related but I think the cursor shape has changed due to me pressing a combination of keys when I was trying to solve problem 1. Cannot recall the key strokes.

Have attached some screen shots that might clarify the situation.
Any advice to this very inexperienced user would be gratefully received.

Hi and welcome,

Disable VST System Link and map Audio Connections > Inputs and Outputs, please.

I would recommend to watch Steinberg Cubase Quick Start Video Tutorials.

Be aware, some menu entries has been renamed since Cubase 10:

• Devices = Studio
  • Device Setup = Studio Setup
  • VST Connections = Audio Connections

Thanks Martin. Tried these suggestions. Not sure what you mean by map eg ‘map audio connections’

Hi,

I was thinking to open the Audio Connections > Inputs and Outputs and assign the Bus from Cubase to the ports on your Audio Device.

Hi Martin
I think I have done this already, the screen shot shows the set up.
Thanks
R

Hi,

As an output of the tracks, there is No Bus. Set Stereo Out, please.

Hello again Martin
Sadly, still no change. The screenshots show what I have done. I am using two, shared screens as you can see.
The two speakers are connected to the lap top by a single jack, and split later. There is only one speaker/headphone jack on the computer. Could this be related to the problem?
Many thanks for your help and patience.
Best regards
Richard

Seems the screen shots did not send. Here they are

Hi,

Click the track to show the Inspector. What Output is selected here?

Hello
The output seems to be Stereo.
R

Hi,

Could you try to install ASIO4ALL and use this instead, please?

Hello Martin
This has made progress because the vertical mixer lights now move up and down in response to the signal. However, there is still no sound coming through the speakers. It seems the data is getting from the file to the software but making it to the speakers. Not sure how to get over this problem.
Thank you for your help and patience.

Hi,

I would recommend to watch Steinberg Cubase Quick Start Video Tutorials.

Be aware, some menu entries has been renamed since Cubase 10:

• Devices = Studio
  • Device Setup = Studio Setup
  • VST Connections = Audio Connections