Newer versions not opening in older versions. Arrrgghhh!!!

Up until the latest updates 7.0.7 and 7.5.1, I was always able to open my currently saved Cubase files in the previous versions (eg: files saved in Cubase 7 would always open in Cubase 6). However, since the new updates I now get a message “this song was created in Cubase 7 and cannot be opened in this version”. Having the ability during a session to open the current song in a previous version of the software has saved me many times when the latest version would crash for any reason. I then had the luxury of fixing whatever the issue was AFTER the client had gone. Is this something that Steinberg meant to do or was it an accidental coding error that I hope will be taken out in the next release. (insert photo of me on my knees begging). I hope I’m making it clear how helpful backwards compatibility is. It’s always been one of the things I’ve loved about Steinberg softwares. Sure, the newer features will not show up in the older software but in a high-pressure situation I can always find a workaround and get through the session, which, as we all know, is the main point of studio work.

I have been switching back and forth between C6.5.5 and C7.5.1 with a project for the last few days with no issues. I haven’t been using any of the C7.5 exclusive features on the project, though, so I am not sure if that helps you.
J.L.

I can still open Cubase 7.5 projects in older versions, even in Cubase 5.
Indeed it’s pretty useful when you get corrupted 7.5 projects and , surprisingly , corrupted 7.5 projects would not crash when opened in Cubase 5.

Recreate the project from scratch.

Having the ability during a session to open the current song in a previous version of the software has saved me many times when the latest version would crash for any reason.

Big +1 on this.
This has saved me only a few times but I was more then happy to not have to stop the session.

So far though, I haven’t had any issues opening projects in any version.
And I’m jumping back and forth between the Cub7.5 trial and Nuendo+Nek 6.07/Nuendo 5.5+Nek
Just trying to get a real world picture of the upcoming Nuendo update before I shell out more cash.
So far, I’m still undecided.

Ted:

Just one question. Is this problem occurring with every saved as 7.0.x and 7.5.x .cpr you have or just a select few? The reason I ask is that if the .cpr somehow becomes corrupted, you will get that message attempting to open them in earlier iterations of Cubase.

And like a few others have mentioned here, I can open stuff created (or updated from earlier versions of Cubase and saved) in 7.0.x/7.5.x and successfully open them in C5.0 thru C6.5.5. In my case, on the Mac platform.

So is it a few or all of 'em? And something else just occurred to me…so here’s a second question: is the .cpr “bit matched”. By that, I mean was the (for example) 7.5.1 cpr created in Cubase as 64 bit and is the earlier version of Cubase opening as 32 or 64 bit? I don’t know if this has any bearing or not. Just a thought.