Next big update?

I figure that when the next update is announced, the announcement will make clear what capabilities have been added and how much the upgrade will cost. Until then all is speculation.

This is a strange discontinuance, MarkSealey.
If I have a piano to buy, and absence of 5 keys, I’m not saying what it can, but what it still lacks.
You can calmly counter my statement, I respect that even if it is technically and on the subject, but you do not interfere here the majority. It lacks the statistics for per and versus (would say here the majority :wink: )

As Derrek said, it is just speculation at this point.
The seller offers a product, we buy it, if it corresponds to our expectations.

You do know the piano wasn’t invented with 88 keys, right? Nor with three pedals?

If you state that the transaction is a simple one — the seller offers a product, we buy it, if —, how can that logically coexist with the idea that they’re selling a half-finished product or that the buyer wasn’t “aware” at the beginning of the (non-existent) contract?

I understand; thanks, Piano-EK :slight_smile:

I don’t believe your 88 missing five keys analogy is the best one, with respect.

A better one, surely, would be adding more and more, better and better, stops and pedals to an already beautiful-sounding and -looking organ which does x% (88%…99%??) of what it was advertised as doing very well indeed.

Agreed, we have no way of knowing how representative of Dorico’s total ownership this forum is. But I’d have said that the majority here understands the trajectory of the project, what we were told was yet to be implemented, what would remain unimplemented for some time, and what has been introduced in the short life of the software. And how amazingly assiduously Dorico’s team has responded to users’ questions, suggestions, requests, complaints etc.

The combination of an already excellent product with the promise that responsiveness on Steinberg’s part will continue is a great basis on which to have faith in what (you and Derrick rightly say) is speculation.

In contemplating an update, I like to think about how Dorico has actively helped me to become a better composer, not about some of the things I wish were different - mainly because I don’t believe they’ll remain so for ever!

Piano-EK,
I’m a long time Sibelius user (since version 1.4). Before Sibelius I was using a German notation program and I switched to Sibelius, because it had some great features and a some new and very promising concepts. At that time Sibelius was VERY different to the current version of Sibelius: no dynamic parts, no magnetic layout, no jazz articulations and tons of other features which were added between version 1.4 and 8. I was always happy to pay for new versions (except for version 8), because every time there was one or more great new feature added to the program. Over the years I spend a lot of money on Sibelius, but I always felt, that it was worth it.
In October 2016 (on the first day) I bought Dorico, because it was a very promising program with some great new features and concepts. Dorico can’t do everything Sibelius is able to do, but the features which are included already (including the free updates) are - at least for me - worth the price I have paid and I will be happy to pay for the next update! I’m quite sure, that the development team will add some great new features …
History repeating! :slight_smile:
I never came across a piece of software which was perfect in version 1.

Just in case this is misleading (I’m not a native speaker of the english language): I didn’t want to compare Dorico to Sibelius 1.4. Dorico is miles ahead of where Sibelius started and in a lot of cases already miles ahead of the current version of Sibelius …

People, no quarrel please. You can have also a piano with 99 keys :slight_smile: .
I’ve bought also dorico, with the hope that it is more or less a complete product.
Fingering and cue notes, that was something new. This belonged to the payable Upgrade.
But I don’t see it, that I must now pay for bug fixes. Then here what is not right.
With every program supplier updates are free.

So again my appeal to Steinberg: updates for all free, upgrade (= new functions) payable.

I was curious from the day Dorico was annonced but stayed away because it was clearly a work in progress release. I gave it a shot for the trial but forgot it and I end up trying it only for 2-3 days or so. I bought it anyways and what a great piece of soft it is. I was frustrated at first because of obvious basic features. After reading the list of additions and updates as well as bug fixes that showed in v.1.1 and 1.2, I’ll be willing to pay for update for v2. PLEASE Steinberg don’t jump in the subscription van. I have 3 Cubase licenses 1 Wavelab and 1 Dorico and I think the current practise is very good. With the 0.5 update increment sold at very small fee. As said by Piano-Ek: free updates and paid upgrades.

Things typically aren’t as clear-cut as you suggest here, Piano-EK. Firstly, your idea of what constitutes a bug versus a feature will not align with ours; and secondly, we cannot fix every reported bug, let alone fix every reported bug in a single free update (though of course we would try to fix all serious bugs that have widespread impact in free updates).

You have already stated the most salient point yourself, earlier in this thread:

When the update comes, you choose whether or not to buy it. If it’s useful to you and provides sufficient value for you to part with your money, then buy it: if not, then skip it, and wait for the next one, to see if that changes your assessment of its value proposition.

Unless you bought Dorico within the first four weeks of its release, you had the opportunity to try the software for 30 days to make an assessment as to its completeness. You will have a similar opportunity to try out a paid update when it is released (though the trial version may not be available on the day of release, in which case you will have to wait some days or weeks before you get that opportunity).

Only you can determine, for you, whether the product is worth the price we are asking for it. But please be realistic about the economics of software development. The majority of Dorico users have paid a significantly reduced price compared to the full retail price to buy the software in the first place, having taken advantage of the crossgrade, and have received significant free updates for 16 months that have added many powerful features. I don’t think it is unreasonable to ask users, who have a vested interest in the success and continued development of Dorico to become a better and better tool for their music-making, to make a further contribution to sustain that continued development.

Daniel, are you saying we will be able to “skip” updates? I thought that, as with Cubase, Dorico updates would be cumulative, that is, any skipped upgrade costs are added to the cost of any future updates. If this is not the case, it would be terrific for those who are waiting for upgrades with certain features that are key to their planned use of Dorico.

(I must confess that this, uh, well-seasoned soul often remembers things wrong!)

The majority of Dorico users have paid a significantly reduced price compared to the full retail price to buy the software in the first place, having taken advantage of the crossgrade, and have received significant free updates for 16 months that have added many powerful features.

… that should have been there in the first place.

Sorry to put it so blatantly, but I still feel like you sold me the new Gold Standard car, but I got a car that is still lacking seats, lights, security belts and a windshield. It might have the best engine in the world. But the fact that you integrated wheels and brakes does not count as “significant free updates”, when they should have been there in the first place when I bought “a car” to drive on streets.
And it doesn’t help me if other people tell me repeatedly that it’s all my fault and I should not be frustrated, because “when cars were version 1, they did not have lights or windshields either.”

While I don’t agree, I find your post very funny! :laughing:

Except that when you crossgrade from Sibelius or Finale (which was the majority of buyers), you’re effectively getting a discount for the features that are missing from the first version of Dorico.

The crossgrade discount is € 249. That’s going to pay for years of Dorico updates… at least 3 paid versions. You’ve seen what Daniel and his team are capable of, you can be sure that each paid upgrade is going to add a ton of new features.

Daniel, thank you for the extensive information.
I fully agree, but first, all issues identified by you (your team) as an error from this forum would have to be fixed.

We were completely transparent about what Dorico could do when it was first released, and as I said earlier to Piano-EK, unless you bought Dorico in the first four weeks of its availability, you were able to try it out free of charge for 30 days before you made your purchase. We published a comprehensive feature list that described every function of the software, which was available on the very first day of release and which has been updated since, and we had a prominent paragraph on the main “What is Dorico” page on our web site that explained which features were not included in the software at the moment, and which we planned to add in free updates (a list that we very nearly completely satisfied).

I don’t know how many times I’ve seen this “Dorico is like a car with no steering wheel” analogy, but it simply could not be less apt. If we had said (for example) “Dorico has the best guitar tab of any software” and it turned out not to have any guitar tab at all, then I think your point would have merit. But we have been completely open and transparent about what the software could do at launch and we have worked diligently to keep up a dialog with our users. I have never dissembled or been anything other than honest about what the software can do or when it is likely to be able to do something. We have not tried to deceive you at any point.

That is not to say that I do not have sympathy for users who are frustrated: I would like nothing more than to be able to say that we have ticked off every missing feature that might be holding back somebody from switching to Dorico completely, and that remains the goal that we are trying to meet as quickly as possible. Of course we want Dorico users to be happy – it’s imperative to our success that, in the aggregate, you are happy. But we are trying to balance the happiness of thousands of users with individual needs and also satisfy business requirements.

Hello,

It is all about little things.
I think I never have seen a score without repeats in my whole live. ( classical orchestra, music brass teacher, wind orchestra )
I knew things were missing but I would never have thought that repeats ( playback and coda and DS would be missing )
That one little missing thing makes Dorico useless for me.

Regards,

Johan

^^ This. And it’s only one example of many.

Of course there are big topics in the field of music that a scoring software can or can not include. If a person wants to engrave medieval music, I guess he searches for those special features and fonts. If another one needs over-the-top midi editing capabilities, she will especially look for them.

The music I’m writing does not need something “special” (I’m writing for wind band), so I feel that even the basic version of a software that claims to be the next top-level scoring product should fulfill my needs.
(If I want a car to simply do my shopping, even the most basic car has to fulfill all the regulations to be allowed on streets.)

I just wanted to put this out in order to place some counterpoint (pun intended) to all those who screamd “take my money”. Yes, I will pay for the next upgrade, and yes, I love Dorico, the forum, the responsiveness of Daniel and the team, the tutorial videos, and so on. I’m only frustrated because it looks as if the things I need for my work and had hoped for to be included in the first few months (!) after I bought Dorico, will be some years (and many paid upgrades) down the road.

My perspective.

I always have to use some kind of workarounds in all the three programs I use - Finale, Dorico and occasionally Sibelius.

But in the end of the day, the advantages of using Dorico are so big that I can live with the workarounds.

Maybe that is the most important question to ask oneself. To achieve the result I want, I have to do x and y and z, because of missing features. For the project as a whole, is it worth it? If yes, go ahead, if no, use another program.

And you who keep saying that Dorico was released with features missing that you need, still missing, how did you actually think when you bought it? Everything was communicated perfectly clear.

And you who keep saying that Dorico was released with features missing that you need, still missing, how did you actually think when you bought it?

Well, to put it simply: I had hoped that those gaps would have been closed way quicker.

I tried the first version of Dorico and found that it was not sufficient for me. Then came the update with repeat endings - ok, but still not enough. Then came percussion, and I thought that it was good enough for me to start working with it, but not yet good enough to fulfill all my needs. Now here I am, half a year later, and I’m still waiting for things like D.S. al Coda structurs and the possibility to automatically combine two players into one staff, and the team will not even dare to say if the next upgrade might include those or if I will have to wait for 3 years, with many paid upgrades in between. That’s frustrating.

Now of course you can say that it was my stupidity to buy a product based on my hopes about how its development will progress. But the first updates all went into what was the “right direction” for me.

But in the end of the day, the advantages of using Dorico are so big that I can live with the workarounds.

I’m completely on your side here, as probably all of us here are who are not 100% satisfied. :wink:

That’s right but let’s be honest : Most of us who bought Dorico in the first months were in reality only supporters of the program and your work and not full- users because comparing it to the other 2 big score programs Dorico was - and still is - missing key features. That’s why i expect a fair pricing policy . Please also consider that the price of Dorico is approximately at the same level as the other two. That means that if the future update is also missing things and the price is high, i will probably buy it (because i invested money,time and effort to learn the software) but i will not be happy about it