Next stop after 8.0.10?

I’d like to see:

-Finish the window system along the lines of modern DAW’s like Bitwig, Studio One etc.
-Add something similar to Studio One’s Multi-Instruments and FX chains where we can chain and layer whatever we want including midi VST’s and save it as a preset preferably with a macro/quick control system.
-Again along the lines of Studio One, overhaul the Arranger Track to make it easier to use.

(I don’t like the rest of Studio One as Cubase rules otherwise)

Studio One 3 looks sooo good! Best looking DAW at the moment.

I tried the demo, but the interface is hard on the eyes and my eyes are good, everything is so one dimensional. The new features are definitely killer though…

I can’t really think of a function I need in 8.5, although new toys are always nice. :slight_smile:

Workflow optimizations (keyboardization of dialogs!) and less clicking would be great, though.

Dongleless operation would be great, too.

However, I imagine Steinberg will have a few suprises for 8.5 again, as well.

For 8.0.20 I would like to see

• On/off/bypass hover button fixed in rack so I’m not always opening Presets instead of bypassing plug-ins. Tired of hunting for that pixel.
  • More stable ASIO Guard 2

For 8.5 it would be great if

• VariAudio went polyphonic.
  • It would also be nice for Sample Editor to be able to open multiple events on top each other for visible alignment instead of toggling them

Honestly I think Cubase 8 has been a bit of a disaster so far. Windows UI is a mess, basic things not working like crossfade preset saving and the chord track having chords that dont sound and have no midi DATA. The list goes on. I don’t even use Cubase 8, I paid for it and it’s the icon is just sitting there on my desktop. I just want them to fix the software so it works as well as 7.5 did.

The other things I would love but I don’t think will ever happen are all to bring Cubase into the modern age so it can compete with other DAWs and not only keep more existing users but maybe even get new ones:

• Give us an alternative to the dongle.

• Allow for more than one authorization.

• Fix the antiquated update model where we pay for x.5 updates. Considering how everyone else (other than Pro Tools, the other dinosaur) does updating I think Cubase needs to step it up.

• Remove the bloat.

Most of the professionals I know and work with are pretty fed up with this stuff and are slowly switching to either Studio One or Reaper. Steinberg need to get their act together with these licensing and upgrade policies if they want to keep their user base growing.

As it stands now I’m going to stay on Cubase 7.5 till Steinberg either addresses these things or till it stops being usable (unfortunately I know which is more likely to come first…). But yeah, uprading to Cubase 8 was a big mistake for me, and I never though I could be so disappointed with software that I’ve loved for so many years.

Are yu joking ? They changed it a few years ago, when the 0.5 release was free and the x.0 → y.0 was $50 more. Now you have the choice to update or not between main releases, they even reduced the price of upgrades for cubase pro 8.
I complained (wrongly) a few years ago about pricing, but imo actual updates pricing is MORE than fair.

I would love to see hardware insert delay compensation fixed… Currently, when I ping my external hardware, Cubase always reports 0ms, which I know is incorrect. It is very frustrating… While doing parallel compression on drums, you have to manually figure out the delay - which is quite a bit more time-consuming than just clicking a working “ping” button.

It’s not about what is and isn’t fair, it’s about staying current and competitive. Cheap DAWs like Reaper may not be very much competition to Cubase right now, but at the rate that Reaper alone is growing it will definitely overtake Cubase in a couple years in terms of usability, performance and features. I foresee the only thing keeping people on Cubase will be the workflow.

I’ve been using Cubase for a VERY long time, I’ve been making a living with it, so the upgrade prices aren’t an issue for me, but even though it’s something that has paid for itself hundreds of times over I still cannot bring myself to justify buying an entire second license so I can move over to my laptop without having to unplug the dongle and close all sessions on my main rig. I think we need an alternate registration method (even though I love the dongle method of having my license offline and always ready) that lets users use one instance of Cubase with the dongle and one with a serial number.

My Studio One license gives me 5 auths, that’s pretty ridiculous. Seeing as Studio One’s interface and workflow are heavily Cubase inspired I think that in a couple of years it’ll be a big contender.

Right now I use Cubase, Pro Tools, Logic, Studio One and Reaper. The only reason I use Pro Tools and Logic are because I get sent sessions in those formats and I need to be able to work with that. The reason I use Studio One and Reaper is so I can work on more than one computer without having to go through the hassle of porting the dongle. I’m very afraid of what’s going to happen when the workflow and usability in those two DAWs reach the level of Cubase, because I will then have no real reason to stay on Cubase.

And I’m well aware of “But you spent money on a Studio One license when you could have bought another Cubase license with that!”. Studio One is not only a great DAW but it has a full featured mastering suite included. And more importantly it’s not about the money to buy a new license, it’s about the principle of only being allowed one authorization when everyone else is giving me so many options (not to mention Steinbergs history of treating it’s extremely loyal customers as pirates which has always been very insulting).

I mean okay, at the very least Steinberg doesn’t charge for support ticket credits like Avid does…

Another way to look at it is this, a brand new Cubase user pays $550 for the full version, $150 per upgrade. If that user stays with Cubase for 4 versions, he’s spending $1000usd. With Reaper a new user spends about $100usd for 4 versions, and considering Reaper updates with bug fixes and minor feature updates every other month, those 4 versions will be massive jumps in improvements (instead of now how we’re waiting for a new paid Cubase update to get it to work as well as the previous version…)

I can’t be the only one to see these problems.

Good point. I could not have said it better myself.

Yes, Cubase development leaves impression of being slow. Other DAWs seem to be moving much faster. Cubase still struggles with with stability in even basic functionality - for example, C8 often crashes for me just by loading the new Bass Amp, and this is still not fixed. And screen issues, button issues… With other daws development is much more dynamic, more updates, quicker response…
I don’t know, Cubase leaves me with impression of being sloppy done in the first place, and then not maintained properly. You buy it based on good marketing, but then things don’t work as advertised and you are being left for months with that half baked cake, waiting for the next update that will hopefully fix it… Not very inspiring.
With current pace, imagine where other daws like StudioOne and Reaper will be in few years. I cannot imagine a really good reason to keep using the good old and clumsy Cubase, with having around all the shiny daws that will be quite mature in next few years.
It is tough for business, but fact is that unless Cubase team steps up with increased productivity, and gives us more for the money, then we will be attracted by other products. After all, there is hardly any loyalty in this business, we are all gear sluts, give me better for less, and I’m hooked.

The answer to the OP is indeed 8.0.20. Confirmed for that release is a fix for VE Pro and ASIOguard 2, that’ll be a huge deal. Hopefully it a) works and b) might also eliminate other ASIOguard glitches.

Mix console undo, wider scroll bars (at least as an option) and smaller track font (at least as an option) would all be welcome ahead of the more significant 8.5 release later in the year. Also general improvements to windows behaviour in Windows, it’s still a bit of a PITA that focus keeps shifting from the main window, and fixes to the instrument track enable / disable (loses midi input / throws up warning when additional audio outputs are disabled).

Niggles aside, generally happy with C8pro.

Cubase 8.0.10 is running very nice and stable.

I’m very impressed with how quickly SB got CP8 stable after such a big update.

The new GUI is excellent and I’m loving the VCA’s for mixing.

Also the ASIO 2 engine is very efficient and effective on my rig … All in all 8.0.10 is superb.

Next I would like to see SB add full undo for the whole program including the mixer of course.
Linked automation editing as a option in the groups link menu (ie sends,pans,plugins, mutes etc)
Import session data
Dedicated FX Templates

I guess I’ll have to wait for 8.5 for most of these features.
But they’ll be more than worth the upgrade fee especially if we get full mixer undo.

• 1 :wink:

Mono Instrument tracks

more than 8 inserts

multi-track warp

• so much more…

Cubase has amazing functionality - I think it’s feature set is unrivalled. The UI is an absolute disaster - after using Studio One 3 over the weekend I am really swithering. Its workflow and simplicity of operation is amazing. Everything is exactly where you need it. Amazing.

What does swithering mean? I feel the same about Studio One and Cubases disaster of a UI after using Studio One too. I tried it on version 2 and wasn’t impressed but it’s progressed a lot since then. If it wasn’t for the feature set as you mentioned…

Swithering = prevarication :slight_smile:

I must admit despite having fewer features I didn’t miss too much. I was surprised as I could do everything I needed.

I was working on Cubase tonight - so many flying windows, wasted space, mouse clicks - painful in comparison. hope 8.5 focuses on UI and workflow

?? I thought prevarication meant lying.

THIS is the truth.

I’d gladly pay EUR 149,- for a pure workflow upgrade with 8.5, at the moment, besides “mono to stereo track conversion by insert”, I can’t think of any must haves anyway.

What Cubase really needs is a reduction in clicking and other superfluous handling tasks.

Maybe Intels “tick tock”-principle would be the right thing to do?

Such as:

x.0 versions add functionality and
x.5 versions improve workflow, looks and minor things?