No audio for playback

I’ve just been in contact with the German distributor of MOTU and they can also confirm that it is a general problem, not only with the UltraLite but with any device that uses the MOTU ProAudio driver. Their proposed workaround is exactly as dbudde suggested, namely the multi-out device (aka aggregate device).

Um, I’m not buying that explanation. If it’s a driver problem then why does it work with all his other software?

It’s not sufficiently clarified, yet, but according to the distributor, with older versions of the driver it works but not with the current. Also, it works with Cubase but not with Dorico, though Dorico’s audio engine is derived from Cubase. So you see, there is an issue somewhere, but we need to find out more on exactly where the problem is.

Ulf, I think it’s something in the layer between Dorico’s audio and core audio. There are differences in the Dorico layer compared to the Cubase layer as not all Cubase features are supported in Dorico.

That the Multi-output device resolves this is an indication that the problem is in that layer.

Any updates from the MOTU folks?

Not yet, I will follow up…

I had this problem as well on MacOS Big Sur 11.2.3 and Dorico 3.5.12.1066. Creating the multi-output device fixed my problem (once I fixed the “Dorico hangs with changed audio output” problem; I can’t link the issue here due to forum constraints). Not sure why my headphone audio output wasn’t showing up and why speaker output wasn’t working.