No audio on new install

I just purchased Dorico 3 and have been trying unsuccessfully to get audio to work. Some specs:

• Dell Inspiron 5570 Notebook
  • Realtek audio driver with 16 bit, 48000 Hz (DVD Quality) and 24 bit, 48000 Hz (Studio Quality) options

I’ve tried to troubleshoot based on the suggestions in the FAQ video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5BcPJd92zqU. Here are the results from different configurations with the Realtek driver and Dorico’s Device Setup:

• Realtek audio driver with 16 bit, 48000 Hz (DVD Quality) and Generic Low Latency ASIO Driver,48000 - no sound
  • Realtek audio driver with 16 bit, 48000 Hz (DVD Quality) and Realtek ASIO Driver - application stops responding
  • Realtek audio driver with 24 bit, 48000 Hz (DVD Quality) and Generic Low Latency ASIO Driver,48000 - no sound
  • Realtek audio driver with 24 bit, 48000 Hz (DVD Quality) and Realtek ASIO Driver - application stops responding

I’m not sure if there are any other options or whether it’s just not supported on my system. I’d appreciate any suggestions (even if it’s just that I need to return the software).

Hi sstrader, sorry to hear about your trouble. For a first assessment, please create a piano project with a handful of arbitrary notes. Then choose from Dorico’s main menu ‘Help > Create Diagnostics Report’. That creates silently a zip file on your desktop, please attach that one here. From the information I find in there I can give further advice.

Oh wow, I should have seen that menu option. Here’s the file. I opened the simple project file I created while following the troubleshooting video, and generated the diagnostics.

Thanks,
Dorico Diagnostics.zip (275 KB)

Hm, where do you expect audio to come, through ‘Speakers / Headphones (Realtek)’? The log says that during the day it was always using ‘HD Audio output’ as output port or sometimes could not find ports at all. However, when you created the last project it could now finally find the Speakers/Headphones ports, so I would expect sound to come out. What happens if you press the Play button, does the green line move? And what if you open the HALion Sonic SE editor window (go to Play Mode, on the right side is the instrument rack, left to where it says HALion Sonic SE is a little button with a strangely shaped ‘e’, press that and the editor opens)? If you click with the mouse on the on-screen keyboard, does some metering flicker in the top middle of HALion Sonic SE editor window? Sorry, questions over questions, but I need to know.

Success! But in an odd way. First: here are the answers to your questions:

• ‘Speakers / Headphones (Realtek)’ is what audio is set to (and it’s the only option in the system tray).
  • The ‘HD Audio output’ may have been when I was trying different combinations.
  • Pressing play displays the green line, and it sweeps to the right, but no sound. Edit > Device Settings are currently: Generic Low Latency / Speakers Headphones / 48000
  • I do hear sound in the HALion Sonic window.

One point (I hate to admit): previously I could not hear anything in the HALion Sonic window. I had tried it the past two days without success and so today relied only on the main window to determine if audio was working.

Also: when I opened the HALion Sonic window, there was no instrument selected. I know that when I created the file the Yamaha piano was there. But… ?

Finally, the path to success that is a little odd: I had to add piano to both channel 1 and 2, and switch the track in the main window to channel 2 to get the audio to work. I then switched back to channel 1 and it continues working.

I suspect I was just changing too many settings at once and maybe never got to the right combination. I’m a dope.

Thank you so much for you Saturday help! Now to get some Saturday music started…

Glad to hear you have it running now.