No confidence in 8.5.20

Ever since i upped to 8.5.20 I get ‘cubase has stopped working’ very regularly…not using any 32 bit plugs…
when loading a project it stops working, so I close Cubase and then when I load the same project it works…
why would this be ?
Cubase seems to be getting more and more fragile… :frowning:

Hi,

Any other changes in the system? System update?

You could roll back to the previous version and to if the stability it fixed, i.e. firmly point the finger at the update rather than an MS update or something else.

Mike.

Hi guys, my OS is up to SP1 and not updated from there…
8.5.10 works fine so using that version, it’s just so annoying that updates and upgrades with Cuibase have become a sort of lottery…I feel like I’m taking a chance with an update lately…will definately be waiting for the trial version before and if I do anything with 9… :slight_smile:
another weird thing…when I load a plugin in 8.5.20 I have to click on it again to see it…in 8.5.15 when i load a plugin it shows itself immediately…
seems like a bit of a mess to me…

Aha, yeah, the preference for opening plugins when adding got toggled between the versions… I noticed that too. Just needs to be changed back. There’s another thread somewhere which gives precise details somewhere…

I’ve always been blessed with a reasonably stable system, but I’ve definitely gone through big times of trouble in the past. Generally I say that Cubase hasn’t reached the stability that I’d expect in such a mature software application.

Mike.

FWIW, 8.5.20 is stable here. Best version of 8.5 by some way imo.

I’ve been experiencing the same thing on a few projects that include Omnisphere 2. Also, a few patches from TH3 reliably crash 8.5.20. Are you using either of these? If so, try removing them and reloading and see if that helps. Good luck…

Similar concern here but I get the “Cubase has stopped working” when I apply sounds from Sampletank 3 to 3 or 4 track. This was never an issue prior to 8.5.20. I may not revert back because I’ve learned to get around this by not loading instruments from ST3 directly. Example, I now will load sounds directly from Miroslavic Philharmonic 2 instead.

Regards. :sunglasses:

Agree with you there mate! :slight_smile:

Hi, I don’t have Omni 2 or TH3…for me, 8.5.20 stops working even when it has no 3rd party plugs but thankfully 8.5 10 presents no problems whatsoever, very stable!!..bit strange really, maybe it could be something to do with my system but not gonna muck about with it when I’ve got a stable working version…
not going any further with Cubase without getting the trial first from now on…will buy only when it works as it should…

cheers guys… :slight_smile:

Hi,

Try to update your Windows. There a similar thread on the forum. Update of Windows helped.

lot of people say updates to windows 7 is not needed and staying on SP1 is the best thing, :confused:

I personally do OS/Hardware updates whenever they are available, including graphics card updates and BIOS. I have a daily disk clone running just in case I get into problems (and I’ve never needed it except for disk failures). I don’t do Cubase straight away though because I prefer to wait to see what issues the next version fixes first (well, and I like to get a good feeling for the update first too).

Mike.

Computers are complex systems and it’s possible that there is an interaction between Cubase and something that’s running in the background that you don’t know about. I keep my system free of this ‘mysteryware’ by using (freeware) autoruns on a regular basis to see what loads when Windows starts up. If I find something that I don’t need, I disable or delete it. You might be surprised to find out how many vendors add their software to your startup list even after you untick these options during installation. However, if you do use autoruns, please be careful; you can easily render your system unbootable. If you’re unsure about an entry, it’s better to leave it alone.

Another thing I do is to limit the number of Windows services (I generally run about 26). Microsoft starts many of them by default but they’re not all necessary. I use recommendations like those from Black Viper (http://www.blackviper.com/) to decide which ones to run and which ones to disable.

I regularly use software like CCleaner to remove all the temporary junk that would otherwise build up over time.

Although I use malware/virus software, I always run it manually (which I do on a regular basis). Once you get in the habit, it becomes part of your regular routine.

When it comes to updates (OS, drivers, music-related, etc.), I generally wait to see what the consensus is before I take the plunge. If my system is working fine and upgrading would provide no obvious benefit – like Windows 10 in my case – I pass. Newer isn’t always better.

I also periodically inspect the “warnings” and “errors” listed in the Event Viewer. These have been very valuable in helping me solve known problems and identifying potential future problems (like a hard drive that’s beginning to fail). The Event Viewer is particularly useful in diagnosing intermittent problems because you can scroll back trough time to see what was happening before a problem arose.

In aggregate, this approach has resulted in a very stable and clean system that boots (after POST) in 12 seconds, idles at ~0% CPU load, and has ~90% of RAM free to run applications. And this, in turn, leaves me with more time to make music. Cheers…