No documentation on Output: item

Trying to find out about the “Output:” item in the track inspector. A search in the documentation for “Output:” reveals nothing.

As far as I can see, if you click on “Edit Instrument Channel Settings” for the MIDI track, it jumps to the Instrument Track for the item you have selected for “Output:”.

Does it actually route anything to anywhere else, or is it just this?

Regards, Richard.

I’m a bit confused now. I believe this “Output:” item is known as the “Output Selector” (nothing in the documentation about it).
If I open a project originally created by Cubase 9 or 9.5, the “Output:” item doesn’t appear at all. For a project created by Cubase 10, it does appear.
Or there something else which controls its display?
Regards.

The “Output:” inspector section only appears when you have more than the main output active.
Activating another output in the racked VST instrument causes it to appear.
Still nothing in the Cubase documentation about this though.

IMHO, Cubase’s rather opaque documentation is a big problem in terms of getting people to be proficient users of the program. Usage examples within the documentation are all practically non-existent. All I could find that may answer the question is this.

Activate the outputs on Multi-Out instruments and Cubase creates the Faders for it. Of course, those VST-is output have to be routed to whatever Group Tracks they may need to be assigned to (often the case in most mixes).

Activate Outputs

This control is only available if the instrument provides more than one output. It allows you to activate one or more outputs for the instrument.

If this is a newer part of the program for you, just work with a bit and you’ll become familiar with how things set up. From the screen shots it appears you have it all working. Documentation improvements? I wouldn’t hold my breath waiting for it. I make notes in my PDF version of the OM and that has helped (if I remember to look for them).

The [-> called “Output Routing” is different to the “Output:” section.
I believe [-> refers to the VST instrument and is the MIDI output from the Cubase MIDI track to the VST instrument.
The “Output:” section under the VST Instrument in the inspector allows you to choose the audio output track FROM the VST instrument.
I think.

Studying the documentation further:

The [-> item in the Track Inspector changes its meaning based on the type of track.

For Instrument Track Inspection (page 115), it means “Activate Outputs”. (This control is only available if the instrument provides more than one output. It allows you to activate one or more outputs for the instrument.)
For MIDI Track Inspection (page 129), it means “Output Routing”. (Allows you to specify the output bus for the track.)

The only mention I’ve seen of the “Output:” section is in Darren Jones’ book for Cubase 9.5 - page 33 “Linking the Inspector to the Output track”. I don’t know where he got his information from.

So, Steinberg, please update the documentation to a include a description of the “Output:” section.

Older manuals mention the “Output:” section, but don’t describe what its for.
For some reason, it’s under “MIDI realtime parameters and effects”, but it’s not just for realtime.
Not mentioned at all in 9, 9.5, 10 documentation.

From Cubase 6 Manual Page 352:
If the VST instrument has multiple outputs (and thus several Mixer channels), there will be a setting called “Output” at the top of the VST Instrument section.

From Cubase 8 Manual Page 652:
If multiple outputs for a VST instrument are activated, there is a setting called “Output” at the top of the VST Instrument section.

Regards.