No longer able to drag and drop new audio track between tracks like in C9.5?

Hey guys,

So everything looks pretty good with C10 so far. The only thing that I’m massively missing is the feature where I could drag and drop from the media bay samples in between tracks. In C9.5 I could drag and then place it between two tracks and a little green grid mark would appear to indicate where the new track would be created with the sample that was chosen from the MediaBay. I am no longer seeing this feature in the new version, and that’s quite disappointing! It was only introduced in C9.5, so I must need to change a setting because I don’t see why they would introduce a feature and take it out one version later. Please take a look on the attached photo I attached from C9.5 demonstrating the feature I mentioned that I am unable to reproduce in C10.

Would love to know how I can get that back.
Thanks!

Hi,

You can drag-and-drop it in-between two tracks in the track list. Yes, it’s a bit farer, but still OK.

I honestly have no idea what’s the rational behind introducing a feature and then taking it out one version later. Maybe Steinberg can give us users who got used to it a simple check box in the options to activate to deactivate the feature?
Really disappointing…

Hi,

As far as I know, there were users, whose didn’t like it in Cubase 9.5, and it destroyed their workflow.

Preferences question… Can you imagine, how much preferences would be in Cubase, if there should be preferences even for something so small like this is?

Myself, I’m totally OK with this.

Honestly, I love Cubase modifiers. So myself, I would for example like to have an option with a modifier. While drag-and-drop, if I hit a modifier, create a new track under the one, where I’m right now, and place it there. That would be my personal favourite way. And someone other would hate it. :wink:

It lands where the timline position of that particular time you drop it in. Not great, it used to be so much better. Honestly no idea why they rolled it out.

Really?? Good gawd, Steinberg is such a frustrating company at times.

Honestly can’t quite believe this feature was removed. Those of us who work in templates now have to scroll all the way to the bottom of a session to drop an audio file in at a precise point in the project? +1 to this more than anything I’ve ever +1’d to before!

^^^^^^ This! ^^^^^^^

C10 seems to be the version where they took away some things that many people loved and made life easier and/or faster in Cubase. So weird and illogical – totally doesn’t make sense to me.

Also, I wonder why someone wouldn’t want this feature? Do they prefer going all the way to the bottom of a track list with 400 tracks and then re-dragging the new track up to where they want it in order to place it at the specific time/beat the need to insert it at, at (as one of millions of examples) say, 22 minutes into a film score?

Yeah this sounds like a cool feature, I vote there should be a modifier like “ctrl” that you can hold down while you’re dragging in a new audio clip to give you the option to insert it between two tracks. That way the people who need it get to use it, and no one’s workflow gets ruined.

I miss this feature and cannot fathom who would have found this a negative workflow issue.

My best guess is they’re people who like to work with their tracks very close together vertically, and end up creating new tracks all the time instead of putting the audio onto the nearest existing audio track.

Fair enough. Then something like Martin’s suggestion is a good one.

“Honestly, I love Cubase modifiers. So myself, I would for example like to have an option with a modifier. While drag-and-drop, if I hit a modifier, create a new track under the one, where I’m right now, and place it there. That would be my personal favourite way. And someone other would hate it. :wink:
Martin Jirsak

Lol i miss this feature too. It was really convenient! Put it back!

Well, it ain’t coming back… the audio-post folk shouted longer and louder, and they got it removed because it was screwing their workflow when in large (300+ tracks) projects.
Create new audio track with drag & drop missing ? - #6 by Puma0382 - Nuendo - Steinberg Forums (see Fredo’s response immediately below mine here - forum playing up; can’t get it to go direct to his response for some reason…)

It’s a shame. Studio One works that way.

I feel like one of the biggest long-term challenges Steinberg/Cubase will run into when it comes to workflow/ease of use improvements is the long-time customers who say, “I’ve been working this way for 20 years and Steinberg broke it for no reason!”

I’m not saying Steinberg will always get it right, and the long-time users will always be wrong, but people don’t want to learn new ways of doing things and that could be a hinderance to progress. It’s very well known for example that when a company does a major redesign of a website, satisfaction usually drops in the immediate aftermath because people don’t know where things are any longer and have to learn the new site. Then, if done well, after an adjustment period, satisfaction increases.

There’s a lot of these types of discussions on the forum right now. The right-click menu discussion is an obvious example of a positive change not going over well with long-time users. This is an example of Steinberg making a change (IMO for the better) then not sticking with it because of some long-time users. I personally feel like they spent too much time screwing with the color tool only to over-engineer and complicate it in the last round of updates (and I’m not a long-time user).

I feel like Steinberg is on the right track overall, but they need to commit to a design, design it right in the first place without over-engineering it and stick to their guns in the face of user complaints. An obvious example that would piss everyone off: re-ordering the tool key commands so they matched the current (correct) tool order. Most used tools on the left, least used on the right is absolutely the right ordering, but the keyboard shortcuts should match that by default. Don’t keep them out of order like they are in Cubase 10 because of people who’ve been using Cubase since the 90’s like it that way. But what’s an even better design approach than that? Building a proper set of Smart Tools so users don’t need to change tools much at all.