No MIDI sound output from Windows

My instrument and vocal tracks produce great sound but I cannot seem to get any MIDI sound output from Cubase 7 LE using a software MIDI synth in Windows. It is as if the MIDI volume is muted. I initially tried with the GS Wavetable synth, though I read about CoolSoft VirtualMIDISynth, installed and tried it, but still no sound. I can play the MIDI files just fine in other windows programs, using either synth. Unfortunately I do not have an external MIDI synth.

For the heck of it, I also installed a different ASIO driver (ASIO4All), but it was no help.

I would really appreciate some help with this. I no expert at Cubase, I get by just fine with the guitar and vocals, but this is the first I’ve tried adding a MIDI backing track (from a file). I’m running Windows 10 64-bit. Here are some screenshots, in case they help. Thanks!

Windows MIDI softsynths are windows devices, and therefore don´t go through Cubase, unless you route them through your soundcats(s) somehow. There should be plenty of info in the manuak about how to use VST softsynths

Cubase allows a soft MIDI device to be selected for output; presumably Cubase routes MIDI data to it and the soft MIDI device produces the sound output. My soft MIDI devices work with all other Windows programs I’ve tried except for Cubase. The manual does not appear to address soft MIDI devices, it diagrams hardware devices. The difference with a soft device is that it potentially shares the same sound output device as Cubase.

The manual has a dedictated chapter about VST instruments, which are the softsynths directly working inside Cubase.
Your window device will not work inside Cubase, it has it´s own dedicated audio output., which could be looped back, and then recorded in Cubase.