No output from Halion Sonic SE

Hi all, just upgraded to C6, but cannot get any output from the free Halion Sonic SE plug-in.
It is receiving midi (the channel levels and the mock keyboard react to key presses), and the little level meters at the top of the plug in light-up when keys are pressed, too. The instruments are mapped to Main, but no sound is reaching the output bus.
All other plugins are working fine, such as SampleTank, HSO, third party synths.
Any ideas?
thx

Hello spaceface,

Are you using it as an instrument track or inside the VST Instrument Rack?
If you are using it inside the VST Instrument Rack did you activate the corresponding audio outputs?

Hi Carlos, thanks for the reply.
I think I have output selected - from the Inst rack (F11) clicking on the [->] icon shows HSSE Main [Stereo] as checked - is that what you mean?

It could be that you are routing the audio to a different output. In this case, you will still see the audio levels appear in HSSE, and also the MIDI activity, but you won’t hear any sound.

Notice in the picture that the top most instrument is routed to “Out 2”? If you only have “Main” enabled in the VSTi rack, you won’t hear anything.

Thanks for the suggestion, but all that looks good: I can trace the output through to Stereo Out by navigating thru the VST Instrument track for HSSE. Very frustrating as Halion One seems to be broken since upgrading (very few instruments and the search has ‘gone’).

Hi, ran into the same problem, internet suggestions did not help me resolve. Every time I open a new instrument track in Cubase 11 Pro and select Halion Sonic 3, I get no audio output, although output settings are correct, standalone works fine, and midi is coming in.

My solution - found by accident - is to reset midi by clicking the small midi reset button (top right in the Halion UI , little lightning bolt). Audio starts outputting immediately. It works without fail for every new Halion instance I create. Thought this might help some people that have been scratching their heads as I was. I can’t explain what is causing this, but am glad I’ve found a workaround. Halion sounds are pretty good.

I am having the exact same issue after upgrading to Cubase 11 Pro from 10.5. @rvanraamsdonk 's workaround of clicking “MIDI reset” does work for me, and at least less frustrating. But it is still incredibly annoying to have to reset for every single one of my instances whenever it happens, which seems to be every 5 minutes or so for random reasons, sometimes seemingly when I solo the track or add a new track.

If anyone has a lasting solution, it would save me so much time and I would be forever grateful.

1 Like

I am having the same issue, the reset button doesn’t do anything for me.