no over indicator or infinite peak hold?

P.G. I just did a recording into WL (7.01) and noticed that in the recording dialogue, there was no OVER light when I went over 0, nothing to tell me when clipping occurs.

and I also noticed that there was no way to set the peak hold indicator to infinite.

Unless I’m doing something wrong, these should please be put into the next update. The clip indicator is especially important.

Thanks

By definition, when you record, the signal can’t be clipped as it received below 0 dB. Maybe it is clipped in reality (inside the audio device), but WaveLab can’t know this as the signal provided by the device is 0 or below 0 dB.
Or this will need a guess indicator (number of successive samples above a certain threshold). Which would not be a bad idea as a matter of fact.

Or this will need a guess indicator (number of successive samples above a certain threshold).

A repeated series of 0 dBFS is commonly accepted as “overload”.

Kind regards

Jean

Hi PG
Why is there no “would be over indicator” in the master section ? cos when using a level plug in it shows all 0 dbfs that would be “over” What is the difference betwen the master section level and the level plug in ?

I don’t really undertsand the question, as the Master Section has a peak indicator.

There is no difference between the Master Section faders and the leveller plugin, except:

1. the fader scale is different
  2. the master section faders have a “transition smoother”, causing no audio micro-glitch when moving them very fast while listening to audio.

[quote=“PG”]I don’t really undertsand the question, as the Master Section has a peak indicator.

Hi PG
What i mean is my DAT PCM 7010 shows digital overs during play back even though the track was limited to 0 dbfs using L1 or so “not by me”.The same for imported CD’s(loudness war) VU-Meter and Master section level show 0 dbfs but the level plug in shows lots of "overs"One could think that WL behaves the same as a play back device :question:

Hello, maybe this is going to help, “inter sample peaks” from L1 manual:

Hi,

Master Section together with Level Meter (shows Overs)
it’s possible to use Level Meter with Audio Input to check Overs

don’t forget it’s possible to use a limiter with settings below -0- dB
when mastering let the music breath please IMHO

regards S-EH

Hello,

timmyboylad talks about the recording dialogue and so about the inherent recording Quasi Peak Level Meter.

There is a clip indicator indeed, somehow a little bit hidden.

Here in the online help, one can find the necessary information:

… If you are monitoring real-time audio (playback or input), the maximum peak and loudness values are displayed numerically to the right of the meter bars. > Numbers in brackets to the right of the Maximum Peak values indicate the number of successive clips (0dB signal peaks)> . > Recording levels should be set so that they only rarely clip. If the master level is set too high, the sound quality and frequency response will be compromised at high recording levels, with unwanted clipping effects. If the level is set too low, noise levels may be high relative to the main sound being recorded …

I must agree that a clip indicator in the form of a red light would be a nice feature in the metering section.

Hope this helps

Jean