No playback on interface (MOTU M4)

Interesting post that I missed. Arrg! I bought an M4 recently and, in fact, they have released new drivers today, along with new Firmware.

Driver: 4.0.9.0087
Firmware: 2.01

The M4 does work in Cubase and Wave Lab for basic audio chores, however, the M4 does not provide a ping delay (latency) for using it in the Ext Efx loop in Cubase 11 (or any other version of Cubase to date). It (the Ext Efx loop) seems to work with Motu’s DP software but not Cubase. I’m on a Win10 PC, btw, and I will add that the M4 seemingly performs all other audio tasks without issue. Too, it does not shut Cubase down while using the Ext Efx loop, it just will not produce the ‘ping’ number.

Moving on, using Wave Lab Pro 11 and trying to again use the Ext Efx loop feature in WL, it’s a complete fail. If you connect things correctly (EXACTLY AS YOU WOULD IN CUBASE) it will either freeze or turn WL off. Also, an odd thing about WL vs. Cubase is that the list of M4 connections (in/out channels) in WL looks quite different than it does in Cubase. It is said that Motu uses the same 8 channel DAC in the four channel M4 that they use in their typical 8 channel interface so I guess that this could somewhat help to explain what WL creates in it’s connection list? However, this said, the Cubase program channel list is more straight forward looking, and, more importantly, while not working perfectly (lack of ping in the Ext Efx loop), it will not crash or lockup Cubase. Actually, this behavior makes me wonder if the algo that creates the WL channel list is responsible for the WL Ext Efx fail? I have to think this is possible; that the channel sorting algo has confused the program as it tries to sort the M4 channels. ??

Which brings me to my last question: Why is it that two programs under the same Steinberg banner offer two very different ways to connect the same interface?