No playback...output...etc

Very new to all of this…
XP/Tascam US1800/Cubase 5LE

I’ve recorded an acoustic guitar track (testing) but nothing is playing back…I can find the file in the project folder and play it with winamp. I have the XP system sounds coming through the monitor (amp out of Stereo Left). I can hear everything as it’s getting recorded but nothing on what i think is play back. If i leave the click on and hit the play button on the Transport panel,all i hear is the click. Shouldn’t i hear the track? It seems as if it’s something very simple that i’m missing,but I’m missing it nevertheless. Very good at computer jargon, music jargon…not so much recording jargon, let alone midi! hopefully soon though…Thanks for any help offered.

Did you disable the Monitor button on Playback? There’s an Auto-Monitoring Pref you can set.

Thanks for the reply…
No, i did not disable the monitoring on playback. I read about that on the forum but could not find how/where to do it. Can you help with that little nugget?

The little orange button with the speaker icon next to the record enable button…

I don’t have time to do this until i return home…if it’s that simple, I’m gonna cry! But to clarify,
will it play back through the same VST connection (monitor=Stereo left currently) or do i need to add another and play back through a seperate output channel?

It will play back thorugh the channel specified in the output section of the audio track it is on, and thereafter the hardware out specified in VST connections. Given you´re monitoring through Cubase during recordring, and not through your interface, it should be the same output as for recording

Thank You! and indeed that was the case and it was that simple. I thank you both. Obviously i will have more questions as i progress. Like this one…
Best way to record an acoustic guitar? In my test project i hooked up a “clip on” pickup and ran that directly to the US-1800 input channel without depressing the Phantom power button. i noticed during recording that i wasn’t even getting into the yellows, let alone the reds on the monitoring bar…
Better to use a mic and an amp in this case?

To get better signal from the input you should simply adjust the gain knob on the hardware.

As to the “best” way to record an acoustic, it varies, but most would agree that a nice condensor mic pointed at the soundhole is a good place to start.