NO rant , just facts Cubase 13 Audio engine Spikes compared to Cubase 12

Yeah, unfortunately I’m also in the camp of random spikes and projects being way, way more CPU heavy in C13 than in C12. I can barely run a 30 track projects anymore, which is utterly ridiculous. Also in my case Freezing and Bouncing has pretty much no effect at all into CPU usage. Also in my case, this has been steady downhill since C11. Every new version has made it worse on both of my computers. Now I’m starting to seriously think about moving away from Cubase. I would really, really not like to do that, as I’m nowadays super efficient in Cubase and I really love the workflow. But unfortunately it’s getting into a point of “I might not have any other options”. I mean… I can’t sometimes even finish up my projects properly without jumping thru many hoops, which is of course, without even saying, pretty damn disastrous and super unmotivating. Nothing kills your inspiration quicker than this type of stuff.

2 Likes

Okay, I need to write an update:
As I own also a Bitwig Studio Producer 5.x licence, I did some benchmarking. I put a bunch of Pigments instances there, with a relatively heavy pad preset playing chords, plus a relatively heavy reverb (Arturia LX-24) on all the channels and few quite heavy mastering plugins into the master in Bitwig. Wrote down the numbers how much CPU these plugins cost. Then I proceeded with the exact same test in Cubase 13. Note, that at this point I just created a totally empty project as I wanted it to match what I had set up in Bitwig. And lo and behold: pretty much the exact same CPU stress. I was baffled, as there was absolutely no spikes anymore, like there was in way less CPU stressing project earlier. Next I did a bus-processing test, again pretty much identical results. So what I did next was: I created my main template from scratch in C13 and guess what: no spikes anymore. Nothing is jumping wildly anymore and it’s way, way easier to keep track on the CPU resources. I also noticed that when I created a new template from scratch the multicore loads were way better distributed between all my CPU cores (and threads). They were pretty much identical with how Bitwig spread them as well.
So my conclusion is, that as my template originally was created in C12, there’s something that doesn’t quite translate properly from C12 to C13. I HIGHLY recommend everyone having this erratic CPU load jumping to just bite the bullet and create the templates from scratch. OR you can of course first try this: create a blank C13 project and import the tracks from your old template into it and check, if that works. I haven’t tested this, so I can’t confirm it having the same effect, but at least creating a totally new template cured it for me. :+1: Hope this helps with some of you folks dealing with this problem.

5 Likes

Can you try this out on your end perhaps?
I really don’t have any CPU issues now, so I cannot try this, but it would be a very important information for the dev team, if this really fixes the problem.

I find this conclusion worrisome. A Cubase Template is just another .cpr project file. If there are issues opening a template created in 12, that would apply to any project file.

I just tried loading all tracks from a fairly heavy template (several VSTis, 10 FX, 10 groups, 40 audio channels) into a new blank project and the new project uses considerably less CPU. Not sure why…

2 Likes

Ive tried all the options mentioned here, still no luck. Not going to waste anymore time on it, just wait for the patch, shouldnt be too hard for the software devs to debug the problem. Trying to load Genome VST just smashes the peak out of the park for me, on a 64gb i7 system. I loaded the same thing into cakewalk without a problem, actually quite a nifty program for free.

While they are at it, offer a more solid solution going forward, why cant the VST actually use more ram or cpu if it has to, there is heaps of it idle, yet the peak is off the charts. It mainly seems to affect windows users, would the WSAPI driver also be an option?

I am also curious about one thing, suggesting that we change settings of our nvidia or geforce graphics cards, has there been changes in v13 that are trying to utilize the GPU of the graphics card?

Spikas all day long with UVI falcon 3 with barely any tracks :confused:

1 Like

It’s been 5 years+ lol…Shouldn’t be tooo long…

2 Likes

I still experience major cpu spikes on my M1 Mac (Sonoma) after the March update. I remade my template from scratch in C13, and also tested using AudioGridder - but to no avail. Are we any closer to a fix?

Maybe another 5 years? :man_shrugging:

1 Like

Just some additional info that may be useful to RME interface users. I was having extreme audio glitching/ spiking on my system until I experimentally enabled ‘Enable MMCSS for ASIO’ in my RME Babyface USB settings. Then everything was good to go - not a sign of an overload - in fact slightly better performance than Cubase 12. Of course this won’t help everyone, but if your interface is RME, it might be worth giving this a go.

2 Likes

I found a solution that works for me!
I downloaded an orchestral template online, and suddenly none of the performance issues were present. Then I just stripped it down, and saved a “Default Template” version in my Project Templates (see screenshot for how to save correctly).

I’ll attach the template file here for others to use. This is extremely strange, seeing as if I build a project from scratch (Empty Project), the performance issues are there…

TL;DR: Download the attached project file, and save as default project template to solve the audio dropout issue.

Let me know if it solves it for you.

Default Template.cpr (99.3 KB)

1 Like

Which Windows version are you using? I have an RME Fireface UFX and found that toggling this setting Off somehow helped massively at one point. I could go on at length as to why, but I’ll spare the thread for now.

But yes, I can also attest that this setting does something, so it’s worth enabling/disabling to see which gives you better performance.

Did you also try renaming/deleting your preferences folder (all of them if you have multiple versions of Cubase installed)?

I have deleted the one for Cubase 13 - but I did not delete everyone. So I could try that as well.

Yes. It is my understanding that when Cubase starts up and can’t find its preferences folder, it starts to look for previous versions installed to copy them from there. It’s a nifty feature if everything works as it should.

2 Likes

Thanks for the tip.
But I still don’t understand how importing another man’s project solved the issue.
Opening a project file does not import his preferences?

Me neither. Did you try deleting all the preferences folders? What was the outcome?

I can confirm that by deleting the previous Cubase version’s preference folders (I kept my current Cubase 13 preference folder), everything runs smoothly!

Now I can also create new projects from scratch without re-introducing the audio issues, which saves me from having to use other people’s templates as a starting point.

Such a simple fix once you know the root cause - but boy have I spent days upon days trying to find a solution to this extremely demotivating issue.

Hopefully, this can help others that are struggling with performance spikes and audio dropouts that have “tried everything imaginable”.

Peter

3 Likes

I’m glad that worked out for you.
For some reason, Cubase preferences has a nasty habit of becoming corrupted or otherwise be the source of all kinds of issues. Deleting (or renaming) your preferences folders is the de facto first step of troubleshooting any issue with Cubase. I’m not sure how or why Cubase’s preferences are so volatile.

2 Likes