No Report when >99min ?

The Audio Montage Properties only allow lengths of <100 min which makes sense if creating a CD. But when you have a non CD project that is >99 minutes, WL won’t allow you to make a report. Tried switching to DVD mode, but this seems to disable report creation all together. This has been an occasional but reoccurring road-block for years. Have I been missing something?

And while I am thinking of long standing, silly issues: Why can we not rename audio files from within WL montage? Been able to do this in Protools from the dawn of DAWs. It is a pain to close WL, navigate in explore, delete or rename files, then relaunch WL and re-import… why is this painful ritual still in place?

You can rename files without quitting WaveLab. For instance open the file of a clip, then go to menu File > Rename.

For the 99 min thing. This is there because this is technically not possible to create CD/DDP longer. But I will think about a solution to this, for the case when CD/DDP are not to be created.

Philippe

Yes, I think a need for a “montage report” is becoming more necessary.

Thanks for pointing that out to me. I tried that: Open file of clip makes me leave montage and now into wave workspace. Rename. close window, switch workspace back to montage. But the clip is still named after old file name so have to address that now, too. This is almost as burdensome as quitting WL. So many key strokes and clicking. This should be a two step process at most, not 17.

Another example: Record a file and place in montage. But say I realize the transfer had a mistake and I need to reprint the file with the same name. I can’t simply delete the first file from the montage and reprint. No, no, WL says I have to quite montage because it still has its hooks in the old file.

Have you seen how ProTools handles Clip and File renaming and deleting? Simple, painless, direct, easy.

Absolutely. Remove the training wheels, please.

Maybe make it a warning with the option to continue rather than a road block.

Thanks for pointing that out to me. I tried that: Open file of clip makes me leave montage and now into wave workspace. Rename. close window, switch workspace back to montage. But the clip is still named after old file name so have to address that now, too. This is almost as burdensome as quitting WL. So many key strokes and clicking. This should be a two step process at most, not 17.

Actually, you have a shorter way to rename an audio file used in a montage: activate the File Tool Window (audio montage workspace), click on the file you want to rename, and press F2.
The clip name being independent from the file name, the clip name is not updated.

But in the Clip List tool window, there is a function to rename the selected clip(s) as their file name.

Well, that is slightly better and am glad to have been made aware for the time being. But the entire maneuver is still >9 steps to accomplish. Still not as elegant or efficient as it could be.

In ProTools, one only has to double click on a clip which directly opens a dialog. This gives the option to enter the new name for the clip, file or both. Viola! All done in nearly a stroke. No need to bounce between File and Clip Tool windows which may or may not be open, etc, etc.

Its a minor point, I know. But it is distracting when in the middle of your mastering, being pulled out of “the zone”; to have to switch brain hemispheres for a simple file management task.

PG, in my version there’s a rename clip option that can be checked in the F2 file rename dialog, that can remain persistent. That seems to work, and is one less step. (unless I’m misunderstanding). WYCA, I think if you know of that, and use the files tab from the montage, it’s much easier. Maybe could be improved but I think it’s fairly close.
re: the 99 min limit, it’s a good point. There was a previous discussion that touched on the effect of this on reports:

PG, in my version there’s a rename clip option that can be checked in the F2 file rename dialog

Right: I forgot that one :slight_smile:
WYCA will like it.

Yes, that is much more civilized. Thanks!