No selection of top note, really?

I’ve seen a couple of posts about this but no real solution.
I need to be able to select the top notes in a whole part regardless of how many notes the chords underneath contains.

Like if I play a pianopart with the melody at the top and after I want to just push to melody’s velocity up a bit. Some of the chords will be 3 notes and others more or less notes. But the melody is still on top.
Is there really no simple way of doing this in one command?
And I’m not after the Explode function.

Hi,

Have you tried the Logical Editor Preset: Musical Context > Select Highest Pitch, please?

1 Like

Of course but that only selects the highest pitch of the section. That could mean that the selection contains just one note.
Maybe I wasn’t clear.
I want to be able to select the melody line that is the top note from start to finish.
Logical editor can only select top note when all the chords have a certain number of notes. But in a live performance you seldom play a whole song with blockchords. Rather sometimes you play 4 notes as a chord and sometimes just a singel note.

Hi,

Oh, sorry, you are are right, of course.

I’m afraid this is not possible. Because Cubase doesn’t know the real context. There could be some breaks in the melody, there could be an overlapping MIDI Notes in the melody. I’m afraid only AI could do this.

1 Like

That’s true but then again, I would gladly settle with Cubase selecting all the top notes and then I can delete the few notes than doesn’t belong to the melody.
I have been working with a Mac-guy lately and that function is so basic and easy to use in Logic. Really surprising that Cubase can’t do it.
Well, maybe in version 12? :slight_smile:

@Martin.Jirsak 's initial suggestion works fine as you can see in this gif - assuming I’m understanding the request properly. FYI, I just drew in some chords wherever and then randomized the pitch so NO musical analysis please.

Select highest pitch

1 Like

Yes, it works but that is not what I’m interested in. I would like every top note to be selected not just the highest pitch. In your example I want the selection to be: D3 G#3 G2 F4 G3 E4.
After that I can make the changes I want to the whole melody.
Much like the Explode function with Lines to voices activated. But that creates a new track and I have to leave the editor to open the new track make edits and then copy it back to the original track. A lot of extra work for something that ought to be really easy. Selecting the notes that are above all others (and also the opposite, selecting the lowest…) in the whole part. As I wrote, in Logic it’s just a one click operation.

the program would have to be able to detect groups of stacked notes as a sort of “event”, with maybe an exclusion clause based on length of overlap

be sure to make a feature request for this or search if one already exists

2 Likes

Sorry it seemed like you were asking for the exact opposite.

1 Like

This is totally doable without creating a new track.

Two ways:

1. In the Score Editor using Explode Set the staff to Polyphonic first, do the explode, and you will end up with the notes assigned to Polyphonic Score Editor voices. Each voice is set to a specific midi channel, giving you even more editing control – you can select notes based on their channel or voice, and you can even assign them to SATB in the key editor.

2. In the Logical Editor using the Context Variable, Highest Note in Chord of at Least n Notes. Don’t forget the Boolean operator at the end of the lines. (this might or might not work as well as the Explode function)

context variable | equal | Highest Note in Chord of at Least 4 Notes |  Or
context variable | equal | Highest Note in Chord of at Least 3 Notes |  Or
context variable | equal | Highest Note in Chord of at Least 2 Notes |  

Function: Select

6 Likes

A bit of language confusion. English is not my native language so I guess I wasn’t totally clear. Sorry for that.

Oh, I haven’t seen your reply before. I will absolutely check it out. Thanks!

1 Like

Are those “…at lest n Notes” context variables new-ish?

Yeah, I think 10.5 or even 11. Can’t remember tbh.

Hi,

Better to mention, these context variables are available in the Logical Editor only. Not in the Transformers, because Cubase cannot observe the context from the live data stream.

1 Like

KeyEditor
Hi again!
I am not used to work in Logical Editor but I think I have done like you suggested.
It works but produces different results. Propably due to how the part is formatted I guess.
In the ex I have recorded me playing a simple tune with melody on top. Sometimes just a single note and sometimes chords. I have edited the file so the notes are pretty much the same length and also fairly quantized.
As you can see (sorry for the slow video) at first the selection is not what I want. After I delete the left hand it’s perfect.
Do you have an idea of what difference is and what to do about it?
Best regards
Olle

I’m sorry, the video is simply too slow to watch to the end, and there are no play controls to jump ahead.

Maybe if you this tool instead of what you’re using you’ll get better results.

Yeah, it’s painfully slow. It became like that when I converted the mp4 to gif.
I’ll post a new one. Meanwhile, I discovered this in YT. Which is the function I’m after but in Logic.

I’m not understanding why you posted the the youtube video, it already seems clear what your desired function is. Are you saying it’s not?

Midi parts are not “formatted” so it’s not clear what you mean by that… :man_shrugging:

Anyway, be sure to try both methods I posted, one will work better, depending on the the material you’re modifying, and understand it will not be perfect.

Sorry! I have now edited my previous post and added the link to Screen-to-Gif, an excellent screen recording tool.