No sound after using bluetooth headset

Hm, really strange. Your project loads fine with me and I can play on the HALion keyboard and sound comes out.
So it has nothing to do with the project data as such.

So it must be more a problem of your audio driver or so. I have to think more about it…

Some more observation-- I installed Dorico on 2 computers: a purchased license on my Mac at home, and a trial version on my Mac in office. Both could play sound on the VST on-screen keyboard in the beginning, then after I worked on my Dorico projects for a while, no more sound from the VST keyboard in both Macs (but Dorico still plays out sound on both Macs).

This is all so weird, and to be honest, I have no more clue.
I’ve also asked our guys from the HALion team, but no one has any idea, so far.

If you hover with the mouse over the keys in the HALion window, do the tooltips get shown? Further, do you hear changes in the sound when twisting the Quick Controls (the 8 knobs above the keyboard) during playback?

Little chance to find out something further, but could you maybe do a screen recording of what you are doing?
With QuickTime Player this is quite easy to do. Choose File > New Screen Recording and follow the instructions.
You could then upload the file to my ftp site.
site: ftp://ustoermer.steinberg.de
user: adler
pass: 040210350

Dear Ulf,
I’m now uploading my screen capture movie file to your ftp site… should be finishing soon.
The file name is “cjm-dorico-action.mov”, 118.6MB.

Thanks for your help!
JM.

Hi JM,
thanks for the video, very helpful. Now, in an earlier posting I asked you to check for the user preference “Suspend audio device in background”. You said that it doesn’t make a difference whether it is ticked or not.
But when I look at your video, you have that option ticked and that’s what you shouldn’t. Please try again, untick “Suspend audio device in background”, press the Apply button and close the window. Now you shall have sound when playing on the keyboard in the HALion window.
Also, have you noticed that - with your current setting - when you go back to the main window suddenly a single sound comes out? The reason is, the audio device and thus the audio engine were suspended, but still MIDI notes got sent there. Then you go back to Dorico and the audio device/audio engine resumes and now plays all the MIDI notes that got accumulated from before at once.
We are aware of this issue and we will handle the suspension differently in the future.

Dear Ulf,
Yes, that trick works, thanks so much! And yes, I heard that sudden sound too. I understand your explanation about the queuing of midi events, that makes sense! (I’m an embedded controller hardware/firmware designer in my full time job). It didn’t occur to me to untick the “Suspend audio device in background” option after I got my main Dorico sound back by deleting the audio engine data as you told me.

So all my issues are settled!

Just one more observation, my VST plug-in window doesn’t open automatically even though I have ticked the “Open VST plug-in windows when opening projects” option (this time, I also tried tick and untick, both ways). Anyway, this is not an issue to me at all as I can open it manually. But this option was initially working on my Dorico, and now it isn’t. Just a feedback.

Thanks!
JM.

Glad to hear that Ulf has sorted you out.

The open VST window issue is something that we’ve fixed for the next update (it will remember which windows you last had open)

Was getting no sound in Dorico with Bose Quiet Comfort 35 headphones, tried the recipe in this thread and the other one for creating an aggregate device. I am getting sound now, but now the built in mic on the headphones is also on which is pretty distracting and I don’t see an option for turning it off (yes I tried dragging the input level cursor down in System preferences but not luck). Any way around this?

Thanks.

I believe you should be able to exclude the microphone from the aggregate device in Audio MIDI Setup, but I’m not sure of the details.

@Daniel: The whole purpose of creating the aggregate device is to get the microphone excluded. If it would be included in the aggregate device, then again, no sound would come out.

@mountainmusic: I don’t have a Bose but a JBL bluetooth headset here, and I can turn the microphone down by two ways.

1. In the System Preferences - Sound panel by pulling down the Input Level slider.
  2. In Audio MIDI Setup (where one can create aggregate devices). Select the Bluetooth input device and on the right side tick the Mute radio button.

As I say, I don’t know your Bose headset, does that one maybe have some other setting somewhere, so that the mic input signal can be directly routed to the headphones again?
Dorico doesn’t have any audio inputs and will only output it’s own playback signal. That the mic signal can be heard on the phones is certainly not caused by Dorico. It must get mixed in from the OSX system level or the Bose device itself.

@Daniel and @Ulf, thank you both for the feedback, it works now :slight_smile:

Will there be a fix for this bug of not being able to recognize bluetooth devices in the next update?

Unfortunately not, for the time being you need to do the workaround with the aggregated device. I have been working on a fix, but found side effects, so one has to be really careful. It’s not an easy one.

Ok, thanks Ulf. Glad to hear that the fix is being worked on though. Good luck!