No sound Dorico Pro 4.0.31

Situation: Isolated from my desktop PC (thanks, Covid) and am on my laptop (Dell XPS 9500, drivers and Windows 10 all current). I did a full install of Dorico Pro 4.0.31 including HALion Sonic SE 3.5.10 and Content Dorico Pro 4. Laptop was running 3.5, but I hadn’t used it, I get absolutely no sound playback. I’ve been through the entire protocol laid out in the “no sound” video numerous times but no success. The playback head moves, the instruments are assigned properly, the settings look good, but no sound. I’ve had to “fix the sound” a couple of times on my desktop PC, and I always found the problem using the video. I noticed a couple of things that may or may not be relevant:

1. When I swoop the keyboard with the mouse on the HALion Sonic SE window, the virtual keys depress but I don’t see any visual indication that there is output (the video mentions little yellow bars).
  2. In the Generic ASIO driver window, when I uncheck the “Allow ASIO host application to take exclusive control” the playback device “Speakers (Realtek(R) Audio)” disappears completely.
  3. Audio export works fine.

I’m totally baffled and have no idea what to do next.

Cheers!

Dorico Diagnostics.zip (483.7 KB)

Ed

Hm, from the diagnostics I can not see anything unusual.
Does it happen with every project? What if you start a new project from scratch, also no sound?
And why do you play out via the Realtek when you have a Focusrite? Does that one not work?

Thanks! I’ll try the Focusrite. Normally I have it set up for audio recording/playback but I haven’t done recording for a while. UPDATE: sound also doesn’t work on my desktop! I’m suspecting Windows updates, but laptop is on W10 and desktop on W11. It’s very odd because I have occasionally on one project heard a note (weak, stringy) when clicking on a note in write mode, but no sound when playback. If I switch to NotePerformer, I never get the mixer window. It just sits on the browser link. That’s the analogous point where both Halion SE and NP get stuck.

Cheers!

Ed

Hi @EdRoberts , setting up the Focusrite shall be that easy like going to Edit > Device Setup, choosing there the Focusrite driver and that’s it, sound is supposed to come out via the Focusrite then.
On your Win10 machine - which should work equally well - what driver/interface are you using there? Additional question, where did you install Dorico; in the default path (C:/Program Files/Steinberg/Dorico 4) or somewhere special?