No sound from headphones after consulting video

I watched through the pinned youtube video on sound issues, and it’s not solving my problem.

On my 2018 15" MacBook Pro (MacOS 10.13.6), Dorico refuses to play sound through the headphones even though they’re plugged in–even while all other apps play through the headphones just fine.

I’ve tried all of the following with no success:

• chaning the VST instruments and playback templates. HALion, Noteperformer, and EastWest Play are all exhibiting this behavior.
  • fiddling with the Sound preferences in System Preferences.
  • checking Dorico’s Device Setup.
  • reinstalling Dorico.

I’ve also tried routing Dorico’s audio through the virtual audio device SoundFlower (GitHub - mattingalls/Soundflower: MacOS system extension that allows applications to pass audio to other applications. Soundflower works on macOS Catalina.) to the headphones. That worked, but it results in glitchy sound and is a less-than-ideal stopgap solution. … I then also tried removing SoundFlower and restarting the system to see if that was causing the issue (per 10:40 on the “Troubleshooting Playback Issues in Dorico” video). No success there either.

Short of wiping my MacOS installation and starting fresh, I’m not sure what to do to get the sound working through headphones as normal.

Ideas?

Thanks for your input, as I’m completely baffled.

Are your headphones wired or wireless? In the past there have been issues with certain Bluetooth headsets that have not only speakers but also microphones, and these can cause Dorico problems because the microphone has the same name as the speakers, but reports an incompatible sample rate. The original thread about that issue is here, though I don’t know if it will help.

Thank you for pointing me to that thread. The aggregate device workaround solved the issue for now.

That said, the two pairs of headphones I use are both wired and have no microphone, so I’d still love to get to the bottom of what’s going on. One thing I did notice is that, with the aggregate device created, Dorico now reports two Built-in Audio devices as below:

Might that mean anything?

Honestly, I’m not sure. When Ulf is back from his holiday, we can ask him to look into this further and I expect he’ll have some idea what to do to solve this properly.

This is new to me. I have seen other devices with two identical names, but never for a built-in audio device.
So the Multi-Out is your new aggregated device, right?
Can you tell me more about the built-in devices? How many in/outs does it have and what sample rates are supported?