No sound from metronome; no "live" effects

Hello folks,

I’m brand new to Cubase and picked up Cubase 6 a few days ago…my sincerest apologies if these questions have been asked 1,000,000,000 times before.

When I turn on the metronome feature from the Transport panel I don’t hear any clicks. Also, I can’t hear any VST effects when I play into the software; I only hear them on playback. My steps are:

1. Project > Add Track > Audio > I select Mono and click Add Track
  2. Within the track I select Edit Channel Settings to bring up the VST Audio Channel Settings window
  3. Under Inserts on the left I click the triangle (Select Effect Type 1) and select my special effects
  4. At this point I’d love to be able to hear the different effect sounds as I strum the guitar before I record but cannot; I just hear the clean sound of my guitar

I’ve turned off Direct Monitoring in Devices>Device Set Up as I’ve read that this can help but it makes no difference.

I’m going straight from my guitar to my M-Audio Fast Track Ultra 8R to my laptop with 2 powered monitors attached to the Fast Track device.

I’d be very grateful for any advice that any of you might have…thank you!

As well as disabling direct monitoring in Cubase, you need to disable it on certain hardware either by the software CP or the unit itself, also. For the click, open VST Connections and check the Click box next to the appropriate output bus.