No sound in Dorico after Reboot

Hello,

I keep having an issue with Dorico 3.5 after loading a project. It seems that all of the sounds are loaded ( I can pull up the individual VST instruments and activate their keys and here sounds) and are mapped correctly in the PLAY tab (VSTs = Instrument lanes and expression maps are assigned). When I look at the System (Intel i7-7700K CPU @4.20 GHz with 64 GB RAM - Apollo Twin USB) I do not see that any of the resource monitors are maxed out. The project was working fine prior to the reboot. If I exit and reload a project flow and initiate new instances of the instruments BBC PRO Orch Template the I hear everything once again just fine. It just seems that once I reboot it does not want to make sound when I select notes and hit play or even select notes. It only Happens with Dorico and Never with the REASON SUITE or CUBASE 11. I have walked through all the trouble shooting guides on this forum so I would welcome any ideas to fix. Thanks.

Patrick

Hi Patrick, welcome to the forum.

I have questions: Once a project is “mute”, do you ever manage to make it sound again or does it stay mute? If that’s the case, something must be wrong in the project data then. Could you please send such project file to me under ‘u dot stoermer at steinberg dot de’? Full confidentiality guaranteed from my side.
If Dorico is in the “mute” state, please do ‘Help > Create Diagnostics Report’ and send the corresponding zip file also to me. Thanks

Resending due to size error

Dorico Diagnostics.zip (1.86 MB)

(Attachment Symphony 002 Spitfire 01 22 20.dorico is missing)

Hi @Patrickjbrowne0000 , is the project too big to attach here? Instead try to send it via mail to me. Thanks

Resending file

(Attachment Symphony 002 Spitfire 01 22 20.dorico is missing)

(Attachment Symphony 002 Spitfire 01 22 20.7z is missing)

(Attachment WinZip Backup2021-01-22-11-27-21.zip is missing)

Patrick, you’d better send it to u dot stoermer at steinberg dot de.

Daniel,

Thanks for your quick response.I have uploaded the project file to the yamaha drive via Christopher Mahurin at Steinberg (I called the US domestic help line). I am also including the diagnostic file here as well. Please let me know if you need anything else. Cheers!

Patrick Browne

P.S. I truly love this application and cannot wait to see what is in the next version.

Dorico Diagnostics.zip (1.86 MB)

Hi Patrick, I had a look at both, the diagnostics and your project file, but could not find anything wrong in it. Well, the project is big in that it uses close to 30 instances of BBCSO, but that should not stop the project from sounding. I have 2 questions:
When the project is in the mute state, is the play button green and does it move the green playback cursor? If you turn on the metronome, is that also mute?

Ulf,

Thanks for looking into this. When the project is in a mute state and the metronome is on there is no sound and the play button is green.

I almost think there must be a compatibility issue (with the Apollo Sound Card or a VST) of some kind of threshold is reached that causes the sound to cut out (the current project only uses about 60% of the 64 RAM and all of the cores have about 50% usage). Although it does not happen with every project. It used to happen more randomly but it seems to happen every time I load this particular Flow and instrument template.

The curious thing is that I only experienced this issue in Dorico (and have for years with a number of different Dorico Versions). No other DAW has had this problem and I have certainly added more VST instruments to those other DAWS to stress test the applications. I am actually a software tester for one of the fortune 100 companies and work with performance issues specifically. If you ever need beta testers for your programs please let me know.

I know it is very strange, this problem. It should work fine especially since I can hear the VSTs when I play specific instances of them through the PLAY tab. It is as if the midi triggers become dissabled and cannot reach the VST sound sources.But that is my theory.

Thanks again for working on this issue

Regards,

Patrick

Hi Patrick, but the most important thing is, does the green play cursor line move when the project is in a mute state? If it does not, then there is a sample rate issue. If it does, then I really wonder.
If in a mute state, what do you actually do, to make it sound again? Or does the project stay forever mute?

Ulf,

Sorry I was not clear…green cursor line moves just as if there is sound (but of course no sound) and project stays muted. To fix i have to create a net new project, load flow fom previous project (with BBC Pro sounds set in preferences) and then all is fine even adding other VSTs. But when I close and reopen then all is muted. Thanks

Patrick

Thanks for clarification, Patrick. But it actually leaves me even more puzzled behind.
But let’s try something else. After reboot, what if you first create a new little project, let’s say a piano project with just a handful of notes and make sure that it does sound. If you then load that other project, is it also still mute? Because if so, then it definitely must be within the project data, though I could not find anything so far. Also, unfortunately I don’t have BBCSO. Might need to get it, but the sample library would simply blow my hard drive.

I have built a piano piece and ensure that it works and that I can hear the sounds. Then I reloaded the Symphony Template and lo and behold it worked and I heard the sounds being triggered flawlessly. I included diagnostics to provide a record for analysis. However I wonder if this is the process I need to go through to successfully load a project…it ideally should work when I load it the first time (sorry for presenting all of you with this particular conundrum) . I rebooted to see if the issue continued and it loaded once again with no sound. Thanks again for all your help.

Dorico Diagnostics piano.zip (1.71 MB)

Ulf,

I included diagnostics to provide a record for analysis. (This is the instance of the project working correctly after loading the piano project…resending because email failed due to size). Thanks again for all your help.

Dorico Diagnostics Symphony.zip (1.8 MB)

Sure, it should work straight away. But there is a bug somewhere that we need to hunt down. Will become quite difficult but we are ready for the chase.
At least you have a workaround for the moment, so you don’t need to copy things around anymore.
Probably we will come with more questions on Monday. Until then, have a good weekend.

Hi Patrick, we had a closer look at the diagnostics but could not find anything suspicious, yet, though we believe it must have something to do with BBCSO. You are using nearly 30 instances of it, which is really a lot. Could it be that it just takes a long time to load in all the sounds?

So here are some things we kindly ask you to check:
1.) Is it really only ever after a reboot? What if you close Dorico and launch it again, does it happen then as well?
2.)What if you exchange BBCSO with HALion Sonic (e.g. choose the HSO template instead), save that and reboot, is it also mute then?
3.) If you have a project with just a single instance of BBCSO, does it also happen?
4.) How long did you wait for the project to load? Just until the play button becomes green? It might be that BBCSO just needs longer to load the sounds. Maybe if you leave it for a couple of minutes, does it then play?

Sorry, lots of questions and lots of things to try, but we need your help on this, since we can’t reproduce the issue ourselves. Thanks very much.

Ulf,
Thanks again for your continued support. Please consider the following responses to your questions.

Please note that the temporary solution you posed last week had intermittent success. It seemed that even loading a single piano project prior to the main project began to not play back any sound.

So here are some things we kindly ask you to check:

1.) Is it really only ever after a reboot? What if you close Dorico and launch it again, does it happen then as well?

See below…

2.)What if you exchange BBCSO with HALion Sonic (e.g. choose the HSO template instead), save that and reboot, is it also mute then?

See next question…I removed Halion but have VSL Synchroinized template instead

3.) If you have a project with just a single instance of BBCSO, does it also happen?

I proceeded to do an experiment…

Successful loads after reboot:
Test 1. Create Classical Template With BBC 35% Utilization - play sounds
Test 2. Reboot - Classical Template With BBC adding Abbey Road 37% Utilization - play sounds
Test 3. Reboot - Classical Template With BBC adding Abbey Road adding pianteq6 piano 40% Utilization- play sounds
Test 4. Reboot - Classical Template With BBC adding Abbey Road adding pianteq6 piano adding Spitfire Organ (Kontakt) 41% Utilization- play sounds
Test 5. Reboot - Classical Template With BBC adding Abbey Road adding pianteq6 piano adding Spitfire Organ (Kontakt) Add Brass 8341 Template 49% Utilization - play sounds

Failed loads after reboot:
Test 6. Reboot - Classical Template With BBC adding Abbey Road adding pianteq6 piano adding Spitfire Organ (Kontakt) Add Brass 8341 Template 49% Utilization - No Sounds - Closed Project but exported flow before loading next test scenario

Test 7. Successful load while Still using same instance of Dorico (loaded Flow from previous fail with VSL Orch Sounds as default playback template) (I removed HSO unfortunately from my machine) 18% Utilization - Plays Sounds

Test 8. Reboot and Successful load with VSL Orch Sounds + FLOW project from previous test 18% Utilization - Plays Sounds
Closed that project and in same instance of Dorico reopened Project that failed in test 6 (BBC with 49% utilization) - No sound

4.) How long did you wait for the project to load? Just until the play button becomes green? It might be that BBCSO just needs longer to load the sounds. Maybe if you leave it for a couple of minutes, does it then play?

I always wait until the Windows Task Manager levels out in the Memory/RAM view before triggering a sound. I try not to go beyond 70-80% of RAM utilization. Even after allowing the sounds to load they fail to trigger in Dorico although you can here them when pulling up an instance of the VST in the PLAY tab.

Including error reports

Thanks,

Patrick Browne

Dorico Diagnostics brass add fail test 6.zip (1.72 MB)