No sound in standalone Halion Sonic but works fine in Cubase

I’m trying to set up Halion/Halion Sonic on a new macOS 10.15.6 installation on a MacBook Pro with Motu M2 interface.

When running Halion as a plugin in Cubase with M2 configured as the interface, everything works as expected.

When running Halion in the standalone app with the same ASIO Driver and all the other setting as the ones in Cubase, there’s no sound coming out. When I tap on the on-screen keyboard, the keys change the state for a brief second, and go back to the default state, which looks similar to how it behaves when no output is connected (despite the output combo box on the main screen and Preferences/Advanced saying otherwise). No midi activity is shown in the app.

When I switch the driver to the built-in one or to the sound bar of my monitor, the sound is emitted as expected. I have the Motu M2 drivers installed, and normally I would suspect that it’s the interface’s fault, but it works fine in Cubase, Ableton, and the standalone Positive Grid apps as well.

Is there anything I can do to diagnose the problem? Perhaps I’m missing something trivial due to lack of experience with the app? Any hints very appreciated!

I have the same windows 7

Are you also using M2 as the interface?

disregard, I hadn’t set thing right.

Make sure you select the audio driver in the Cogwheel options in the top center-left header and set your settings there.

Thanks for the tip. Unfortunately, I’ve set the available driver options in preferences to match Cubase, yet Halion still doesn’t work standalone.

I’m curious if there are any logs I could check to understand what’s causing this.

Hi there! I’m experiencing exactly the same problem. Did you solve it?

No, unfortunately not.

Smae problem here

You could “fix it” on mac by creating a combined device, and assigning to that you audio interface. Then you set you combined device as audio device in Halion. That worked for me!

1 Like

Yes that works, here is the link from Apple:

It’s called Aggregate Device - in german Multiausgangsgerät.
I also wrote a support ticket at Motu. This is the same behaviour with my Motu M4.
I begged them to include an out of the box working way for a future update. Let’s see what the Motu support says to that. I have the MacOs Motu M4 driver installed - for better latency. I don’t know if it behaves the same when no driver is installed. The M4 also works without using any driver under MacOs.
It even works when JUST selecting the M4 and the second Aggregate Device is de-selected :wink:
Well at least there’s a way under MacOS for playing the standalone version of Halion SE (in my case) and Groove Agent 5 SE. GA 5 SE behaves the same way :wink:
I’ll post when I get news from Motu.